Thread: servi-car wood bed

gcheney Guest

Default servi-car wood bed

hello, wondering what H-D used for wood in the bed of a servi-car. this one is a 1958. i have heard of yellow pine, fir ( what kind of fir?), and spruce ( also what kind?). if this bike was to be judged. what would be correct? any ideas? thank you, sincerely, george

Buster Guest

Default Seriv box flooring

My box had an original floor in it. The floor is a treated spruce which is tongue and grove. It has a stamped or burned in mark on some of the planks indicating it has some type treatment. I belive the stamp says "Weather Tite", but I will look at old removed peice and see for sure on stamp and size of planks. The bolts going through the floor to the subframe have carriage heads toward inside of box and square nuts on bottom side. These same type carriage head bolts with square nuts were used for fasteners throughout box.

Southern pine is correct. I believe only grown in the North & South Carolina & Georgia(could be wrong on that).. Resets mold and mildew. Thats why the MoCo used it..Painted black..

I always thought it was spruce but I just took out an original floor and it was fir.The boards are exactly 3.25 wide and that gives you a thin board in the end. If I knew how to attach a photo I would. You can email me and i can send a photo, duda@rduda.com

Richard, do you by chance have a pic of the installation of the check strap for the servi-car? thanks, Len.

Yes i have a photo of a 35. Email me. I have a fir floor for a servi that is new and has a finish on it and I will bring it to oley if anyone needs one. Also have the new rear lid pads i made.

I sent a pm of my email. Would really like to get pics of the whole setup on the check strap. Thank you. len.