Thread: Cad Plating Parts Previously Parkerized

Default Cad Plating Parts Previously Parkerized

Would it be possible to cad plate a part that was originally parkerized? If possible, any appearance or durability issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshotbob View Post
    Would it be possible to cad plate a part that was originally parkerized? If possible, any appearance or durability issues?
    Yes, and no....
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

I have never had a problem cad plating a part that formerly was parkerized. Cannot say the same thing for going the other way. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshotbob View Post

I would guess that the parkerized finish would need to be blasted off in some way prior to the CAD plating.
    Mark

I have parkerized many parts during the restoring process on my '45 EU Chief. I took the cad parts to the plating shop, had them chemically stripped, then parkerized in a uniform bath treatment so that all the different parts would come out with the same finish. The results were exactly what I wanted, as all the assorted pieces came out with the same finish. The parts came back in an oil bath cardboard box, and although I wiped everything down the finish didn't start rusting or showing any signs of oxidation. I assume most chrome shops have a bath treatment type facility. I had my stuff done at AC Plating in Bakersfield, CA. (acplating.com) I have used them for all my plating needs for more than 25 years. Very knowledgable, and easy to work with. They do alot of M/C parts, show cars and other high quality plating.

Personally, Folks,...

I find parking to be a great 'primer' for other coatings.
    (As did the MOCO.)

Cad is expensive, toxic indefinitely, and frankly, if its not the original cad, its fake anyway.
    (Even modern electroless nickel looks nothing like the original nickel.)

So I've gone isocyanate for the last couple of decades.
    If its gonna be fake, its at least got to be authentic.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-18-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Plating must be applied over a clean surface, i.e. bare metal, no rust, no dirt, no oil. Any previous finish needs to be stripped prior to plating. Your plating vendor should be capable of performing the necessary stripping/cleaning.