Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: UL frame identification

  1. #1

    Default UL frame identification

    Hi friends,
    I am new to the group.
    I am restoring a 1946 UL and would like to confirm the frame on my bike is correct 1946.
    Please let me know.
    Regards,
    Shyambiker.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]26448[[ATTACH=CONFIG]264426E56F65-E6F5-41C9-A664-4944F55B8684.jpg9[/ATTACH]/ATTACH 68965478-25F7-4E00-A98B-05F8ADFA45AC.jpg4474E1B0-73A1-4675-88F2-5EB6F476F6B0.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
    Posts
    5,464

    Default

    Starting in October 1944 welding was done on frames. '46 frames were welded. Only the neck and rear axle clips were brazed. All other joints were welded. You can find this information on page 812 of the Second Edition of "How To Restore Your Harley-Davidson".
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 11-17-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    294

    Default

    XE6 die number #3 was used in 43 and 44.
    Post photos of frame neck, both sides.

  4. #4

    Default Additional pictures UL frame

    EB7A4AC6-8FBB-42B1-9773-888CFBA7B8B0.jpg58CA1C99-CEFD-4B53-AF99-A30EEDFD49A1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by 1950Panhead View Post
    XE6 die number #3 was used in 43 and 44.
    Post photos of frame neck, both sides.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    96

    Default

    definitely not a 46 frame.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Shyam, welcome to the forum. On the Panhead and Flathead forum you mentioned you got hold of volume one from the second edition of Palmer’s book. Do you still have it? If so please check the chart on page 45. Die number 2 on the rear motor mount, when combined with die number 3 on the R-H axle clip, suggests the frame may be a 1943 model.

    What are the die numbers on the R-H side of the steering head, on the left axle clip, and underneath the seat post forging?

    And are any numbers stamped on top of the seat post forging?

    Also, did you get the engine serial number and belly numbers authenticated yet?
    Eric

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
    definitely not a 46 frame.
    Thank you so much.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    Shyam, welcome to the forum. On the Panhead and Flathead forum you mentioned you got hold of volume one from the second edition of Palmer’s book. Do you still have it? If so please check the chart on page 45. Die number 2 on the rear motor mount, when combined with die number 3 on the R-H axle clip, suggests the frame may be a 1943 model.

    What are the die numbers on the R-H side of the steering head, on the left axle clip, and underneath the seat post forging?

    And are any numbers stamped on top of the seat post forging?

    Also, did you get the engine serial number and belly numbers authenticated yet?
    Eric
    Hi Eric,
    I am attaching the pictures as suggested.
    Here in India we have only 3 or maybe 4 UL's.
    So there is no system to get my bike authentication done we have to go by what we have in hand.
    Also the restoration is on the end so now this is just academic interest.
    I will also post the pictures of the restoration later.
    Thank you for the help.
    Shyambiker.3368FE57-2E46-4E62-B45A-D489370A2412.jpg431FC0AF-4772-4E45-AB1D-1AACD1D003A7.jpg6CE2061A-1372-42D9-8DD7-362E648FC80A.jpgD6AB71B7-E572-44AA-A763-6B7069978156.jpg3D335A65-C616-45C7-BD2B-6F7134216135.jpg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    78

    Default

    You're welcome. Thanks for the extra pictures but I can’t read the die number on the R-H side of the steering head or the left axle clip. What are the die numbers?

    Regarding authentication of the engine serial number, the idea was to be sure about the model year before spending money on restoration. Perhaps you could post a partial photo—for example, 46UL1+++. And you could do a similar thing with the belly numbers—for example, 46-1+++. Then we could give you an opinion on whether the numbers appear factory stamped or not. It’s even possible the belly numbers could begin with 47- and Palmer mentioned it on page 10.
    Eric

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    You're welcome. Thanks for the extra pictures but I can’t read the die number on the R-H side of the steering head or the left axle clip. What are the die numbers?

    Regarding authentication of the engine serial number, the idea was to be sure about the model year before spending money on restoration. Perhaps you could post a partial photo—for example, 46UL1+++. And you could do a similar thing with the belly numbers—for example, 46-1+++. Then we could give you an opinion on whether the numbers appear factory stamped or not. It’s even possible the belly numbers could begin with 47- and Palmer mentioned it on page 10.
    Eric
    Hi Eric,
    I am posting the clear pictures for the right side steering head and the left loop and left axel clip.52C18D5D-7406-454C-B197-00D09BE13E30.jpg
    Will post the engine and belly numbers when I go to the garage.
    Regards,
    Shyam biker.5910532D-6205-467B-A6B7-F4AE22BE0C6D.jpg4431F39A-0ABD-4FFB-9F0C-9C141BCA06B3.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •