Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 59' Panhead Frame

I canít read the date code but if it is B9 and authentic then it indicates the frame was made in Feb 59, given the style of frame.

I canít read the other markings either but the forging number on the steering head should not be 47591-354; instead it should be 47591-35.

Notice at lower rear on the R-H side there is a tube-like extension. It accommodates a Harley jack.

On the left side, examine the rear downtube where it meets the lower forging because often the tubing cracks.

To identify the swingarm, below is a link to a thread I started on the Panhead and Flathead forum in 2016.
    Eric

http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/vi...hp?f=5&t=15801

My mistake on the the steering head.. it is 47591-35 and the upper rear casting number is 476 45 58

Erci,
    Thank you for the link... here's one for you. I was trying to date a swingarm that I have and have a question. Here are the casting numbers.
    Bearing Pivot- 47556 58 ME?? AE??
    Outside left - upside down 70 NO RIB?? This is the big question.
    outside Right Side - 470606-58 7
    Inside Left Side 47614-58 A3

What's your thoughts?

Youíre welcome. Officially no ribs outside the left clip until 1963 models. (I have photos of a few late-62s with them but I do not know if the swingarms are original to the bikes.)

On the pivot bolt housing, forging number 47556 58 is the only one Iím aware of and AFAIK it was used for 1958Ė72. (Some think it is 47558 58 but I disagree.) As for the letters, I do not know what they are. I have plenty of photos of that hallmark but none are clear enough to be certain about the letters. There was at least one more hallmark later on but I canít be certain about it either.

Your swingarm sounds like late-1959 or 1960, given the following:
    1. Inside the left clip is forging number 47614-58, hallmark A and die number 3
    2. Outside the left clip is run number 70
    3. Outside the R-H clip is forging number 47606-58 and die number 7. (You said 470606 but I think it will be 47606.)

However, Iíd like to see photos to be certain about the style of left clip.
    And Iím also intrigued by die number 7 on the R-H clip. Can you post photos of both clips please.
    Eric

Hopefully these are better pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your left clip is consistent with late-1959 or 1960 as I suspected. I think officially the extra material along the bottom of the left clip was introduced with 1960 models but it may have first appeared on some late-59s. Die number 3 is still the lowest Iíve seen inside a left clip.

The grease fitting isnít original to the swingarm. The factory didnít install a fitting as original until 1962 models and itís mentioned in the H-D SM. Any pressure release holes in the pivot bolt housing? If yes then they wouldn't be original. If no then you may need one or two of them. Apparently as of 1963 models the factory began drilling the front of the housing and some housings had one release hole while others had two. Even when they had two holes there were different locations used and youíll see photos of them in my thread on the P and F forum.

Re the photo of your R-H clip, you may have trimmed it too much because I canít see die number 7.
    Eric

I did cut it off hear ya go.
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks John. On a R-H clip Iíve only recorded die number 7 twice before and on both occasions the swingarms overall were a style that preceded yours. Both swingarms had 47614-58 on the left clip but it was outside, as was die number 2. Neither of them had a run number and they had no extra material along the bottom of the left clip.

Anyway, I still think your swingarm is consistent with late-1959 or 1960.
    Eric