Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake manifold nipple

Default Intake manifold nipple

Anyone ever removed the manifold nipple from the cylinder on a 47? Did it go well? Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Anyone ever removed the manifold nipple from the cylinder on a 47? Did it go well? Stan
    Chiefs usually don't need it, Stan!

But its still surgery;
    Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Beware nipple rivet holes are often distorted, tearing threads in the head if you back them out.

Good luck!

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Recently purchased a NIB set of Eastern made in India cylinders and was told the the nipple threads are metric and nipples need replaced? Was also told a method of removing was welding a piece of hex stock in bore to turn out with wrench? As a young man I removed a set with a chisel to replace with Panhead O-ring style but that is another story. When these were built there wasn't Loctite thread locker hence the use of stakes/ rivets so question if they're necessary if green or red Loctite is used? Sorry to raise more questions but in reply to OP yes they are made to come out, just need a plan

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalowe View Post
    Recently purchased a NIB set of Eastern made in India cylinders and was told the the nipple threads are metric and nipples need replaced? Was also told a method of removing was welding a piece of hex stock in bore to turn out with wrench? As a young man I removed a set with a chisel to replace with Panhead O-ring style but that is another story. When these were built there wasn't Loctite thread locker hence the use of stakes/ rivets so question if they're necessary if green or red Loctite is used? Sorry to raise more questions but in reply to OP yes they are made to come out, just need a plan
    Panheads suffer the most from callous removal, Bubbalowe!
    You was damm lucky; Hundreds of Pans weren't. (Colony kits were complicit.)

No Loctites that taste like saccharin withstand P4gas. I found out the hardway.
    The rivet was to retain the nipple if a crusty nut grabbed it. Otherwise the cylinderhead would have to be removed to remove the manifold.

Might as well get the right tool for the job,... Because you will need it to put in a fresh one.

....Cotten
    PS: Chiefs did use a sealer unknown; Perhaps white lead?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-10-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    AMCA #776

I had read that the nipples were over sized slightly on the thread od and they had made oversize nuts to fit.I have seen them on ebay with nuts included.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tfburke3 View Post
    I had read that the nipples were over sized slightly on the thread od and they had made oversize nuts to fit.I have seen them on ebay with nuts included.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom. They're still in the box waiting next rebuild so if a nut is available that would be prefered, a discussion with a vendor lead me to believe they needed replaced. I removed the nipples in my Chief with a chisel because I opened up the ports to 1 1/2" and made an O ring style manifold and used O ring style manifold nipples. At the time it was about taking advantage of those big valves and going faster.

The O-rings survive Flatty heat, Bubbalowe?

They aren't supposed to...

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    The O-rings survive Flatty heat, Bubbalowe?

They aren't supposed to...

....Cotten
    Not true, work fine. Had off multiple times in last 30+ years and always soft and pliable. High heat O rings are available but my experience aren't needed.

Not true, work fine. Had off multiple times in last 30+ years and always soft and pliable. High heat O rings are available but my experience aren't needed.
    I remember when, Bubbalowe,...

Ironhead sportsters could cook them regularly.

Must have been a loose nut on the handlebars.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-12-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I remember when, Bubbalowe,...

Ironhead sportsters could cook them regularly.

Must have been a loose nut on the handlebars.

....Cotten
    That's ugly, especially knowing the motor ate the loose chunks.