Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WANTED: Chief Sealed Beam #4030 for 1941-1942 and 1948-1953 Chief motorcycle

Howdy JR,

All my Indians run 6V on two brush converted Autolites with PODtronic regulators and either a single AGM or two Shorei Lithium Iron batteries wired in parallel within hollowed out former lead acid battery boxes. Search my name on this forum for explanations thereof and/or start with my website link below for various depictions of these conversions.

I’ve got a Westinghouse 4030 that originally came in the Dietz-type shell (not Motolamp) of my ‘46. I don’t use it because I had Indian Frank change my generator to 12v.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Were there options on the 1946 Chief headlight? I thought they were the same as the original Indian early 1930s Four, the Scout 741 and the 1949 Arrow, Scout and Warriors?
    That's also another interesting thing. When was Dietz contracted to make lamps for Indian? I don't recall reading that in Hatfield, Sucher or my other books, Data Book included.

I read some of your other posts before I joined the AMCA. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by JTR249 View Post
    Were there options on the 1946 Chief headlight?
    John, just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm not aware of any options for headlamps in 1946. I've always assumed my headlamp was a replacement somewhere along the way because like you I've only seen mention of the reflector type from Motolamp as being the correct headlamp in 1946. My Chief had a few aftermarket add-ons installed on it, so I only ever assumed someone changed out the headlamp to a sealed beam unit sometime, it has no markings on it whatsoever, it's chrome plated brass.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Finally received this one from Theodore Hernandez in French Camp, CA. Finally, the light has all original parts except wiring.

For some reason my image tool is not working. I'll see if I can figure out what went wrong and post photos of the light later.
    My info on the light is similar to Burke's in his description in this thread. My number on the side is M74, vertically positioned on the front lens.
    This is most likely a mold number for production purposes. Also possibly a light from 1974 as there was no recorded date when GE stopped making this part number. If that's true, the part number is correct and original, though not one made during Indian production years or one originally in an Indian assembly. All other numbers are standard; 7 GE 7 for the diameter of the lens, 6-8v for six to eight volt system, however, on the front, above the word TOP is the number 909. On the rear beneath the electrical prongs is the letter M and the number 690. I don't know what these numbers mean yet. Anyone out there know, I would be glad to find out.

Thanks to all who contributed

-JR