Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1950 EL Gas Tank Crossover Line

I bought this line thinking it will be better than a V-Twin "replica" line. Now I'm thinking that I paid retail for a V-Twin part. Not good, because I'm a V-Twin Dealer. I'm trying to tweak the line. The problem is the circle is hitting the left leg of the frame. If it becomes too much of a problem I may check with Old Dude's son. I believe that he is running the show these days.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 41craig View Post
    Robbie; This is what I have and it doesn't look like a Knucklehead line.Attachment 25946Attachment 25947
    Craig
    Your right, it doesn't. It also doesn't look like any H-D line ever...Like some kind of bastard child of a Hydra-Glide and Duo-Glide line...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

I'm not a Pan guy, so I depend on reputable vendors to sell me something that I can work with. Evidently this piece of crap needs some work. Nobody ever said that it would be easy !
    Craig

Well, after a lot of @*#@ ( foul language ) trying to make the line I bought fit. I got lazy and bought what Tedd calls a '48 only line. And sure enough, it won't even get close to working. The circle bend interferes with the horn which in 1949 moved to the front frame legs. Attached is a pic of the '49-'56 line on top, that I will go back to trying to make fit. Center is the 1948 line. And the bottom line is what came on the bike that the OEM shutoff rod seat will not slip through.CIMG1461.JPGCIMG1462.JPG The second pic is the Eaton fitting on the top 2 lines.
    Craig

Craig, Stop wasting your time. All those cross over lines are made in Dennis Corso's kitchen no matter where you get them, there is only one company making them. Work with what you have. Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Craig, Stop wasting your time. All those cross over lines are made in Dennis Corso's kitchen no matter where you get them, there is only one company making them. Work with what you have. Bob L
    Stop wasting your time but work with what you have??

Well then, Craig,..

Maybe soft solder and something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-ft-1-4-i...UAAOSwIzda-cEN

Seems cheaper than a straight auto store line to cut up. Maybe. And you could botch one or two and still have line left over.

....Cotten
    PS: Speaking of fuel lines, my Soobooboo is stranded because the plastic bung in the bottom of the tank disintegrated after only twenty years.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-25-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Bob L; It seemed like I was wasting my time working with that line. But I guess I will give it another try or 10. The problem with that line is, what ever I did to get it align with the shutoff valve seat, it was still about 5/16" short of nipple on the right tank.

Cotten; I may end up getting the tubing in your link and going that route. Things were a lot easier in the chopper days.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 41craig View Post
    Things were a lot easier in the chopper days...
    Mine's for sale, Craig!

Nevermind.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Let me throw this out at you with out going back and reading this from the beginning. The rule for tanks 1947 three fingers from the bracket to the nipple, 1948, four fingers to the nipple. Changed to clear the pan. Could you have the wrong gas tank? This is when they start beating me up but I'll live. Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 09-25-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling for Cotten

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Let me throw this out at you with out going back and reading this from the beginning. The rule for tanks 1947 three fingers from the bracket to the nipple, 1948, four fingers to the nipple. Changed to clear the pan. Could you have the wrong gas tank? This is when they start beating me up but I'll live. Bob L
    4 fingers Bob. This bike was been in the same family since it was new, until I bought it 5 years ago. So I don't think that the tanks were replaced.
    Craig