Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64 duo glide belt drive primary drive

Default 64 duo glide belt drive primary drive

Has anyone installed a belt drive Ltd in their machine ?
    Thinking of changing / upgrading to a primary belt drive,is there a better unit I should look into ?
    Any pro's or cons ,should I keep running original drive ?
    Looking to "" upgrade "" for maintance issues ,thank you

Belts, Militaryrider,...

Require an oil seal upon your motor sprocket shaft.

That way, when it sumps while sitting, it can fill the cases all the way up.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

BDL makes an 88-tooth 1 1/2-inch belt drive kit for your 1955-up kickstart bike. I've had one on my pre-55 tapered-shaft UL for many years. It's smooth, quiet, clean and maintenance-free. The "dust" it does accumulate stays in the tin primary case. The kevlar belts are much-improved over what they were on their introduction decades ago; I have zero fear of "throwing a belt." And if you don't install the useless "sprocket guide" or whatever they call it, you can replace a belt anywhere with one common screwdriver, to remove the screws in the outer primary cover and to prise the belt off/on the engine sprocket if necessary.
    The sprocket guide provided is a complete waste of metal. If it ever was contacted by the belt, it would be after a failure and all over, anyway, and with it on you must remove the entire engine sprocket to replace the belt.
    Depending upon the fit of your frame, you might go with a "twin-pull transmission adjuster," available from V-twin, to align the primary belt and it will never get out of line on its own. I highly recommend the BDL for quiet, smooth operation.

I agree with Sargehere. Neither myself nor any close friends with tin primary bikes, run primary chains, we all have belts.
    VPH-D

Gerry , thank you Summitt has free shipping over $99.00 also I have a $25.00 gift card .
    Going to order today ,have a good week ,thank you again

Vph-d , thank you ,checking today what unit I need 8mm or 11 ,will disassemble ,leave open ,order today ,from Summitt will have by Friday , thanks for your response

Many belts are thrown by misalignment of the sprocket shaft and transmission mainshaft (which must be parallel).
    The belt guide doesn't prevent this - but slices the belt to pieces as it passes by.

Quote Originally Posted by kitabel View Post
    Many belts are thrown by misalignment of the sprocket shaft and transmission mainshaft (which must be parallel).
    The belt guide doesn't prevent this - but slices the belt to pieces as it passes by.
    The trick is keeping them parallel, Kitabel!

Bumps happen.

Really goosing it doesn't help either.

Its a lot easier with a '65+ Indian-design cast primary. Except then they get hot.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-17-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    AMCA #776

If there's any wiggle room, the shafts will try to approach each other, and the belt will march outward in its quest to hide in the grass.
    Pay particular attention to the holes in the frame, transmission plate etc. and shim etc. as indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by kitabel View Post
    If there's any wiggle room, the shafts will try to approach each other, and the belt will march outward in its quest to hide in the grass.
    Pay particular attention to the holes in the frame, transmission plate etc. and shim etc. as indicated.
    We certainly agree then, Kitabel,...

This stuff *moves* all the time.

Except sitting in the garage.

(Unless wrenched at... Then it moves all by itself.)

....Cotten
    PS: Face it for most Folks, chains are a lot more friendly. Cheaper in the long run, too.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-17-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    AMCA #776