Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethanol gas in vintage Chief

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    There's about 150 Federally recognized fuel additives, Folks!

Usually you get your dose out of the pump.

Can anyone explain why we need more?

Thanks in advance as always..

....Cotten
    Not sure about federally regulated but Marvel Mystery Oil has been used for decades as an upper cylinder lubricant, especially for valves which receive little to no oil in flatheads. In olden times guys would drill and tap intake manifolds and use a small tank with petcock and line to let the Marvel Mystery Oil drip in while running. If you don't want to use a "fuel additive" you could run this setup but I have no problem throwing it in the fuel. I don't ride through winter so gas tanks get topped off and Sta-Bil or Seafoam is added in fall for layover. Agree fuel additive is a waste of money as a performance enhancer and does nothing to offset the presence and effect of ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalowe View Post
    .. In olden times guys would drill and tap intake manifolds and use a small tank with petcock and line to let the Marvel Mystery Oil drip in while running. ...
    I've fixed a few, Bubbalowe!

Not a good idea.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I have a number of bikes that sit around for extended times. I spend more time building my bikes that riding them.
    When they were filled with pump gas, every time I went to ride them I would have to clean the carbies, without fail.

When I got sick of doing this, I converted most of my bikes over to ethanol free fuel. Now they start whenever i want them to.

One bike I missed was a 1978 Triumph I have. I have replaced the carbies, cleaned the jets a few times, and it always starts 1 st kick. I left the pump gas in it for 2 months and now it won't run. It starts on the tickle, then dies. Jets blocked again.

For those of you who ride regularly, almost any pump gas will work for you without any additives.
    The secret is to keep riding them as they were designed.

I agree and I also don't believe in additives to boost octane, etc. But I won't be riding this bike much - especially during the winter. I have a power washer with a Honda engine and Honda recommends Sta-bil for winter storage. So there must be something to it.