Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol gas in vintage Chief

Default Ethanol gas in vintage Chief

I live in CA, where the gas is 10% Ethanol (and the mix is particularly bad and susceptible to boiling in the summer). Does anyone use gas additives, like Amsoil Quickshot, which is supposed to be good to fight the negative effects of Ethanol?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lipdog View Post
    I live in CA, where the gas is 10% Ethanol (and the mix is particularly bad and susceptible to boiling in the summer). Does anyone use gas additives, like Amsoil Quickshot, which is supposed to be good to fight the negative effects of Ethanol?

Thanks!
    I do not. I use Non-ethanol gasoline. I am fortunate as I live near a lake so there are marinas and gas stations that carry the non-ethanol gas. In CA are the marinas all selling ethanol??

Ethanol is both good and bad, Lipdog!

Its digestive and corrosive, but its critical for octane in USA fuels. (Stupid politicians...)

It makes the injector cleaners and detergents in fuels more aggressive as well.

And you think adding yet another cleaner will help, at twenty-three bucks a bottle?
    https://reviewguts.com/amsoil-quickshot/ smells just like snake oil.

Go for it.

....Cotten
    PS: So Paul!
    You only ride in circles around the lake?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Ethanol is both good and bad, Lipdog!

Its digestive and corrosive, but its critical for octane in USA fuels. (Stupid politicians...)

It makes the injector cleaners and detergents in fuels more aggressive as well.

And you think adding yet another cleaner will help, at twenty-three bucks a bottle?
    https://reviewguts.com/amsoil-quickshot/ smells just like snake oil.

Go for it.

....Cotten
    PS: So Paul!
    You only ride in circles around the lake?
    Yes; pretty much. Not too near the lake as that is where all the cars, crowds and trailered boats are;
    but the secondary roads through the farmlands here. No too much traffic and good roads. This time of year around here is especially nice with the leaves starting to turn and the fields in harvest. Average ride only ~ 20-25 miles round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCDF View Post
    This time of year around here is especially nice with the leaves starting to turn and the fields in harvest.
    My favorite time of the year to ride, too! My Chief likes cold air, me... not so much! Was thinking of getting a battery powered heated vest!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

There is one place not far from me that sells Sunoco SS100 race fuel. But even that is 10% Ethanol. https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/ss-100

That's still too much to pay, Lipdog..

For extra octane that just goes out the tailpipe of a flatty.

I bet a juice glass of it topping off an OHV's tank of regular makes it run as well as pure "race fuel".

The only thing wrong with the latest fuels is they aren't swelling my competitor's floats like last year.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    AMCA #776

Virtually all gas pumps are labeled up to 10% ethanol which is no more than a little dry gas to combat the condensation which forms in storage tanks and really poses no negative side effects. E85 is another animal which needs bigger jets in carburetors to keep the performance while losing some mileage. Most will agree the best thing in a Chief gas tank beside gas is a little Marvel Mystery Oil, I use a shot glass and throw a double in each tank when filled.

I use a dash of star-tron every tank or so and also Blenzall, but if going to sit for awhile then stabil additive. Just try to use the right tank enough to rotate gas.

There's about 150 Federally recognized fuel additives, Folks!

Usually you get your dose out of the pump.

Can anyone explain why we need more?

Thanks in advance as always..

....Cotten
    AMCA #776