Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 450 engine install

A number of years ago, a friend in California sent me pictures of a CB450 he built, and painted red. They were never painted red in the early days as all of them were black. I never forgot how good that bike looked, even though I was hard-core vintage American bike only. After seeing those pictures, I kept a look out for early Honda Black Bombers. If this bike had been in decent original condition, I wouldn't have messed with it, but it was horribly neglected for over 40 years, and after seeing some of the inane, inept, and abusive things that had been done to it, I felt comfortable in restoring it. I think Honda should have offered red, blue, and black.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Couldn't concur more fully, Eric. your next project needs to be a earlier Superhawk. The came in red blue and black from the factory albeit black was the only color that looked good. the red was a pale ketchup and the blue wasn't too bad. they came with matching red, blue and black seats.

Bravissimo! better to do a little re-disassembly then fight the beeotch.

Lookin' good, Eric!

Dale

...virtual “like button” hit! That frame looks like a very complex piece of fabrication...wow!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Can't wait to see it finished. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    your next project needs to be a earlier Superhawk.
    You read my mind, Steve. I appreciate your insight, and observations about Hondas.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

the Superhawks had an amazing engine, capable of handling excessive amounts of sustained abuse. Remind me and i will tell you a rather entertaining story about a riding buddy's Superhawk from my high school days, it's a bit of a long-ish story and i don't have time to regale you with the details at this moment. The beginning of the story is Ralph Jones bought his son Leslie (my riding buddy) a brand new Superhawk on a "white sale." This would have been around 1967, as i distinctly remember i still was riding my 1965 Yamaha YDS-3. Around that time, Honda produced the Superhawk in white, dealers could barely give them away.... Hence, the "white sale."

That will be VERY NICE when finished! This paint reminds me of my Honda CB160 which was originally black and silver, and when my dad gave it to me back in 1973, he painted the tank, side covers and fenders orange. When I "fixed her up" I liked the red so much so that is what I repainted it as. Now... I kind of wish I had painted back to orange and black like it was when I first rode it. Ah... it's only paint, so maybe some day!
    I also own a 1965 Honda Dream 305. Yeah I know a lot of people thought that they are weird, but it runs so good and it's 95% still original (tires and mufflers), albeit not very nice.

100_5084.jpgJims 1965 Honda CA77 305.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

I think the 160 is a beautifully proportioned motorcycle and I'll bet it is a fun bike to ride. Needless to say, I like the red, silver I don't really know what I think of Honda Dreams. Like you said, they are kind of weird looking but they do have a strange charm. Thanks for the those great pictures, Jim.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886