Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wet sumping question/hard to kick

Yeah I can do that and it’s a good interim solution. But I have to imagine these bikes shouldn’t normally do this if the pump is right. I got about a half quart after sitting for a week. I’ll try to get the pump right sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipdog View Post
    ..I like the idea of a valve to shut the oil supply while the bike is sitting...
    You'll need one of these, Jeff!

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Ask you builder if he left the pump internal ball valve in place.That seal is the only thing that will stop flow from the tank while sitting,and many people leave it out,and just deal with leakage.
    Tom

I don't know I am no expert on oil pumps (or anything mechanical) but consider, these bikes are seventy years old! There have been advances in oil pumps over the last 70 years or they would still be 'state of the art'.

I only changed my throttle to the RIGHT and installed a more modern front brake due to MY limitations as a rider and almost taking us 'into the weeds' (actually my neighbors
    fence and parked car) a few times early on. My fault.

Crazy as it may sound I LOVE this old bike accept it as is, idiosyncrasies and all. That's part of the fun. Just be safe.

I only ride once or twice a week so my bike sits. PRG's advice makes a lot of sense to me. I had thought of cutting the oil intake line and splicing in some rubber oil tubing
    that I could clamp with blunt forceps but upon reflection; LESS is more.

In the end the bike is yours to do as you feel is best for both of you.

So lets talk about the ball check, Folks.

The HDs made a fool of me;
    The Indian aluminum pump doesn't give room for that. Its too primitive to have options, like piloting.

My Indian pump studies were all about flow and supposed pressure, and futile because of the temperature variable.
    (I have some of Vern Goodwin's handwritten notes somewhere...)

The aluminum pump's simple ball seat can only be whacked, and that only makes it worse on a harley.
    So does lapping.

Your rebuilder might have tried anyway.
    I can only suggest a flat cut to refreshen it.

...Cotten
    PS: Ironically, my HD burnishing technique worked best on aluminum. But I disavow it.
    PPS: If anybody wants a piece o' PEEK to try to cut a seat insert, I'm mean enough to give it to you free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-20-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    AMCA #776

I beleive if you wanted to make some custom seal for the alum. pump,it would be best made for the pump shaft,not the check valve.I thought about a seal held by the pump cover screws but its all toghether now.
    If your setup was a 48 pump Im pretty sure you would see the shaft leak,not just the ball check.
    Tom

Yeah, I think I will take the pump out and inspect and replace the check ball and spring. I'll see what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipdog View Post
    Yeah, I think I will take the pump out and inspect and replace the check ball and spring. I'll see what I see.
    If you want to see whats going on after you remove the pump put it in a vise with gasket and spring and ball.Then attach the oil feed line and it fill it with 20w or warm 50wt.Watch to see where the oil goes.Your check ball and spring are most likely fine.
    Tom

Don't forget a big drip pan, Tom!

Hard to get under the vise sometimes...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    AMCA #776

I thought an Indian owner would never notice a little extra oil on the floor.
    Tom