Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet sumping question/hard to kick

I put a small petcock on oil tank at supply line and kick start motor before opening. Before shutting down I close valve and idle a minute to pump oil into tank. Life has gotten a whole lot easier kicking and no sumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalowe View Post
    I put a small petcock on oil tank at supply line and kick start motor before opening. Before shutting down I close valve and idle a minute to pump oil into tank. Life has gotten a whole lot easier kicking and no sumping.
    That's a cool idea as long as you don't forget to turn it on. So I'm clear, you installed it between the tank and the supply line to the engine? Is it a threaded petcock that screws into the tank?

Yes threading into tank, not a new idea. Roller bearing cranks can run a long time without oil, pistons seize first. Probably not the right thing for those with memory loss although I did put a little check oil label on speedo bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipdog View Post
    That's a cool idea as long as you don't forget to turn it on. So I'm clear, you installed it between the tank and the supply line to the engine? Is it a threaded petcock that screws into the tank?
    I am SO glad you asked this question. I have been experiencing something similar: professionally rebuilt engine yet at times a bear to kick over (Just thought it was my old leg). Followed advice of Pisten Bulley above and upper plug yielded ~ a pint. Drained oil tank and will refill before next ride.

Valve at tank on feed line sounds like a GOOD idea.

I think this is one of the GREAT things about this site. Knowledge, Insights Wisdom to keep these old bikes running than you will not find anywhere else.

Thanks again.

Some of us out here on the left coast have added a shut off valve on different bikes and hooked up a wire so it grounds out the ignition until you turn the valve on just in case the old brain forgets too. just sayin'. See you out here Peter and we don't care what you ride as long as you make the party.
    DrSprocket

Update: I checked the drain plug and drained (guessing) about 1/4-1/3 quart. The bike has been sitting, and it also was on a transport truck driving 1500 mi and then in a warehouse.

- Could that transportation and movement cause an otherwise good engine to wet sump?
    - Also, could that amount of extra oil in the sump make the bike harder to kick over?I also checked the plugs: totally oil fouled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Transportation won't cause sumping. It seems fairly common for rebuilders to not get the check ball seated properly in the pump. there have been many threads about sumping. Here is latest. http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...hlight=sumping
    I doubt 1/3 quart would make it noticeably harder to kick over.

Who knows what was done to the bike before you got it. I'd clean the plugs, insure no oil in sump and restart and see what happens and let us know. While the spark plugs are out of it, kick it over. Should be very little to no resistance.

Once plugs are back in and its hard to kick, then process can start to figure that out. In the event it is still hard to kick with plugs out, do not attempt to start it until root cause is found and corrected.

Not that it has anything to do with your problem but being a new bike to you, I personally would verify point gap (if it still has points) and make sure timing is right on the money.

Who rebuilt the engine? Is there any documentation what they did? What parts were installed? Any performance modifications from stock?
    Last edited by Skirted; 09-11-2019 at 07:23 AM.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Sometimes hard kicking can mean kicker needs a shot of grease.

Remove top crankcase plug ( 1/8 pipe plug)from lower left hand crankcase excess oil will drain out once it quits dripping put plug back In you are ready to roll

Update: First, I was checking the wrong level plug before (the one for the trans). I checked the sump and got about a half quart + out (see photo). So it did wet sump. I'll keep an eye on it to see if that continues to happen and how fast.

Next, I removed the plugs to see if it's easier to kick over. It is. It's a recently rebuilt engine, so it's tight. I guess that's good unless it breaks my leg. Otherwise I'll assume it'll loosen over time.

So I got it started (not easily) and let it idle to warm up maybe 5-10m. I had just replaced the plugs with some Autolite 303s (3/8" extension) and they fouled (see photo). It could be from residual oil from the wet sumping, it could be normal for an old Indian with a Linkert at idle, it could be too cold a plug (doubt it), or it could be a rich carb adjustment. I don't have experience with these carbs and engines. What do you think it is?

Thanks again for all the help.

IMG_0325.jpgIMG_0328.jpg