Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country Chase

Default Cross Country Chase

Hello folks, I am sure that I am not the only one who is trying to follow the "CCC" from the comfort of their armchair.

I thought I would put a post up because I haven't seen one on here yet which I am surprised about.

I would have loved to have competed as it appeals to me in some ways more than the Cannonball because no backup teams are allowed (although I would be interested to see if there have been any "cheats" in this regard). Just a bike and a rider and no backup team seems much better event than a competition to see who has the deepest pockets.

Cutting to the chase (pun intended) I was wondering if there are any ways to follow progress other than on the official CCC website. I am following Keith Martin (Big D Cycle) on his instagram but I am sure that there must be other places to follow.

Thanks,

John

John,
    Look 4 posts down. I asked same and I know others who have searched for daily updates with no luck. We got spoiled with Bill Wood's thorough daily updates during the last Cannonball. The videos posted on the CCC FB help a little. At least I get a glimpse of the people I know once in awhile. It'd be great to see the standings sheet posted daily.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Hi Skirted, I missed your post most likely because I dont check in on here every day.

I agree with your posting. Also I note that the FB and instagram videos are also on youtube.

BigD cycle is posting on his instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/bigdcycle/

I havent seen too much on the other "usual suspects" such as The Vintagent although I guess that there must be a few other participants posting on their social media. If I find any I will post them on here and your thread.

John

Michael Lichter has also been posting pics from the road:

https://www.instagram.com/michaellichterphotography/

John,

You can follow the Chase on Facebook or motorcyclechase on Instagram, Jason and LeeAnn Simms are posting there. Rebecca Cunningham (Red Flyer Media) is posting videos on Facebook and instagram, she’s redflyermedia on Instagram. She’s sort of the official Videographer and just an all around nice lady. Also, Chris Tribbey (#09 I think) has been doing a good job of posting a couple of videos a day on both Facebook and instagram (he’s Mirth74 on instagram). A lot of the other riders are also posting videos, but those have been some of the good ones I’ve seen. If I think of any others I’ll post them.

BTW - I agree with some of your comments about riding the Chase vs the Cannonball. I’m considering switching from the Cannonball to the Chase after 2020. The effort of putting together a support team and vehicle every other year is time consuming and expensive. The idea of simply getting on an old bike with a tool roll and a few things and just riding across the country with some great people is very appealing to me. I doubt if there’s ant cheating going on, I know a lot of those folks and they tend to be more focused on the fun than the win.

Just thought of another one - Doug Wothke has been posting a lot of pictures on Facebook and Instagram. He’s rtwDoug on Instagram. Doug is participating as a staff rider this time, he always has an interesting point of view on things.

Also, on Facebook, some people are posting their pictures to the Motorcycle Cannonball group, so you might want to follow there.

Kevin

Last edited by Shaky Jake; 09-10-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

Hi Jake, thanks for the reply and the links/tips on who is posting updates on their various SM. I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    The idea of simply getting on an old bike with a tool roll and a few things and just riding across the country with some great people is very appealing to me.
    Me too. I would like to do the Cannonball too but with minimal backup if possible but I would much prefer it to be just me and my bike and good company much as you have stated.

However (and I hope I am not jinxing it by mentioning it) it looks like we are FINALY close to moving house in early October so any Cannonball/CCC aspirations will have to wait because after we have moved I need to build new stables for horses and a new shop for bikes so that will take my time, energy and cash for a little while.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    Just thought of another one - Doug Wothke has been posting a lot of pictures on Facebook and Instagram. He’s rtwDoug on Instagram. Doug is participating as a staff rider this time, he always has an interesting point of view on things.
    And if you'd like to see where Doug Wothke is and has gone, he carries a tracker on his bike. You can see see it on Spotwala here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...b4de3265776584
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

That's so cool Doug does that, that man has been around. Thanks for the link. Bob
    Bob Rice #6738

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    I would like to do the Cannonball too but with minimal backup if possible but I would much prefer it to be just me and my bike and good company much as you have stated.

However (and I hope I am not jinxing it by mentioning it) it looks like we are FINALY close to moving house in early October so any Cannonball/CCC aspirations will have to wait because after we have moved I need to build new stables for horses and a new shop for bikes so that will take my time, energy and cash for a little while.

John
    Yes. A couple of guys have done the Cannonball with no visible support, Kelly Modlin did it in 2018, and I think Doug did it once, maybe in 2014. It’s something to aspire to.

Good luck with the move. Horses AND antique motorcycles? You probably need an airplane and a couple of boats too! ;-)

Kevin

1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

AMCA BOARD MEMBER Will L from Wisconsin bowed out with an engine failure on his 30's Indian sport's scout...totally stock...no upgrades...etc... Gotta love an ex military dude and his fortitude for making a run on his own. His motor is totaled and he is planning on what to do on the next run. Love this guy and he is supporting your hobby day to day. Well done Will...Driftless Chapter Guy ,just so your know......Some folks are the real deal...Will is one of those...
    Ross