Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cross Country Chase

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    ...When I started it I didn't expect it to become a debate on if cheating was prevalent or not but it is good to know that you didn't see any. I only mentioned it because I have read one account of a Cannonball that alleged that some people did cheat....
    Its not about if somebody cheated, John..

Its about how well they did it that counts.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-18-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Hi Jerry, thanks very much for checking in to this thread. When I started it I didn't expect it to become a debate on if cheating was prevalent or not but it is good to know that you didn't see any. I only mentioned it because I have read one account of a Cannonball that alleged that some people did cheat.

Putting that topic aside I was wondering if you are able to share a few words about your general view and experience of the CCC?

Thanks,

John
    First off the rules in the Cannonball are so loose that I cannot imagine how one could cheat. About the only rule that you could violate and not get caught is the one that prevents you from getting help from your crew while on the road. You can get help from locals, other riders and members of the Cannonball staff but none from your crew until you are checked in at the motel for the night.

I found the Chase to be an enjoyable time but I had to do very little work on my bike. On the whole trip I added one quart of oil and adjusted the rear chain once. Minor stuff compared to some riders. Some of the credit goes to my experience on 3 previous Cannonballs. It did not hurt to win the Class III either.

I rode with 2 other bikes: a 1948 pan that made all the miles and my 1947 EL which a friend of mine rode. The #65 47 was DQ'ed because it was not the original that he started out on. It replaced another 47 EL of mine that started piston slapping on the way to Milwaukee and so my friend Willie back home loaded the replacement up and brought it to Milwaukee so Mike could at least enjoy the ride. The 48 pan for some reason needed the chains adjusted every night. The replacement 47 needed only one adjustment for primary and drive chain. Both were well oiled but I suspect the 48 had cheap chains.

One thing that I think should be changed is how terminally broke bikes are handled. The only thing they guarantee is to get your bike to the hotel on the day it broke and after that you are on your own. If you cannot fix it you are stuck. All accommodations are paid in advance and might not be cancelable. If you hired a shipper to haul the bike back from Key West you were out that money too.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, thanks very much for the feedback on your experience on this event. I had thought that a well prepared eligible bike should make all the miles with just routine maintenance and you words confirm my thoughts.

The contrast between cheap and better quality chain is interesting too. Bad luck with the breakdown for your friend Mike but it seems to me that he completed the event even if his official status is DQ.

I had also suspected that if you broke down you would get taken to that days destination only. This seems fair enough, if the bike is terminal then you are going home anyway. Any advance bookings that are not refundable are just the sorts of risks that we all take every day and if someone isn't willing to take them then they shouldn't take part.

Congratulations on your Class III win and thanks again,

John.

IMG_5684.jpg
    The parking lot sure looked different in the evenings, crap spread out everywhere, guys hollering for oil, grease guns, wires etc......it was a lot of fun. Met some great new guys and ran with some old familiars. This run to me was a lot less stressful than the Cannonballs Ive been on, the tests added a lot of unknowns to the scoring and I liked it, even though I sucked at it. It's a great way for guys with limited time to participate. John did an excellent job on the course and the control riders were a big help. Jason and LeeAnn did a great job with this new format and ALL of the volunteers were as usual, EXCELLENT.....To put something like this together and make it gel just amazes me......Everything was just great.......

IMG_5747.jpg

At the end, it was a HOOT!!!