Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    Yes. A couple of guys have done the Cannonball with no visible support, Kelly Modlin did it in 2018, and I think Doug did it once, maybe in 2014. Its something to aspire to.

Good luck with the move. Horses AND antique motorcycles? You probably need an airplane and a couple of boats too! ;-)

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I did follow Doug's account of his unsupported Cannonball at the time. I think he posted updates on AdvRider.

I am not particularly into boats but would love an old airplane. Either a DeHaviland Sea Hornet (none exist so would need to re-create one) or a Dakota with some history, maybe one that was used in the Berlin Airlift.

I do have a lot of stuff to deal with for this move but am able to get a vicarious old bike fix via the good old internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    AMCA BOARD MEMBER Will L from Wisconsin bowed out with an engine failure on his 30's Indian sport's scout...totally stock...no upgrades...etc... Gotta love an ex military dude and his fortitude for making a run on his own. His motor is totaled and he is planning on what to do on the next run. Love this guy and he is supporting your hobby day to day. Well done Will...Driftless Chapter Guy ,just so your know......Some folks are the real deal...Will is one of those...
    Bad news for Will. I hope he get everything fixed up OK.

John

Does anyone know the details of how the "no-support" policy is implemented? Most bikes will have been delivered to the starting point, and will be retrieved at the ending point by the same vehicle. If a bike breaks down one of the organizer's trailers will pick it up and deliver it to the next stop on the route. However, if it's an "unfixable" breakdown the bike would be stranded at that stop for lack of room on the organizer's trailers. So it only makes sense that each rider's "non-support vehicle" be encouraged to follow close to the route from start to finish.

Obviously, a trailer and team of mechanic would be spotted if helping a bike that had broken down on route, but how are evenings handled? Is there a Parc Ferme that only riders have access to? That still wouldn't deter an unscrupulous rider from having access to the contents of his team's trailer parked nearby, since the odds of being spotted doing so would be small. Without some sort of policing it would be unfair to the majority of riders who I am sure are not unscrupulous. So, how is this handled?

No idea what level of policing there is but have a few thoughts; Itd be very difficult to police fully especially by event staff maybe better policed by riders themselves. With a relatively small number of riders Id think most recognize who is who and with everyone carrying a camera these days someone cheating would be taking a chance. Id have to think the most difficult thing for anyone to police is a following support person delivering parts to a motel room so the rider can install.
    If someone is determined to cheat they will find a way. If they cheat and it allows them to win their class or a runner up spot theyll bask in the award presentation glory but after they have to wake up everyday they are alive with guilt knowing they are inferior and cheated other honest riders who put their heart and soul into this event. Good luck with that.

We are in Key West anxiously awaiting their arrival tomorrow. 3 of the 4 riders from our chapter are among the 35 still with a perfect score and no penalty. Those handicap and especially quiz score points will play a big role in tie breakers.
    Tom Banks #21 is an experienced X Cannonballer but Joe Ferri #23 and Willie Earhart #18 are first timers to anything like this.
    Last edited by Skirted; 09-14-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Some good points there Skirted.

It occurs to me that the simplest but to cheat on might be the quiz (not that I am suggesting that anyone IS cheating on it, just hypothetically) Here in the UK so called "Pub Quiz" competitions were killed off by the smartphone. If someone had an earpiece in and read the questions out aloud to him or herself it would be simple for an accomplice to feed back googled answers.

I guess that some participants might give us their perspective on honesty on the event in a week or two and I look forward to hearing their experiences.

John

If anybody cheats they are only cheating themselves. Would take a special kind of lowlife to enjoy looking at a trophy they won by cheating. Anybody that rides an old bike better not need a trophy to satisfy him. It's all about the adventure and proving to yourself that you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirted View Post
    If someone is determined to cheat they will find a way. ... but after they have to wake up everyday they are alive with guilt knowing they are inferior and cheated other honest riders
    If cheating is too easy to get away with people who otherwise wouldn't think of doing it, will. Also, one has to wonder how many races were won over the years, and championships awarded, by engines that both the tuner and rider knew weren't 100% within the rules? Presumably, those riders woke up every day free of guilt and quite pleased with the trophies and plaques they'd won.

Sure, someone who is determined to cheat, will, but the comment that door locks keep honest people out comes to mind. Enough safeguards have to be put in place to make it easy for honest people to stay honest. Apropos of this, years ago I was at the shop of someone who subsequently became a good friend and I asked him if I could get a closer look at a bike at the back of the shop. He looked puzzled and said 'of course'. I pointed to the sign saying only authorized personnel were allowed past that point as the reason for my question and he replied that the only people that sign deterred were people who he didn't mind coming into his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jwl View Post
    If anybody cheats they are only cheating themselves. Would take a special kind of lowlife to enjoy looking at a trophy they won by cheating. Anybody that rides an old bike better not need a trophy to satisfy him. It's all about the adventure and proving to yourself that you can do it.
    John I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of cheating and then being able to even look at any award that may have come out of it. I was in the Chase and made every mile and saw absolutely no evidence of any cheating. Having been along in 3 Cannonballs and now The Chase, I have been impressed in general with the honesty and integrity of the participants.

The one thing in The Chase that upset me a little was the day that Jason waived the penalty for being late. My feeling is if you make rules, stick with them regardless of the reason for being late.

Jerry Wieland

We’ve seen that before Jerry. Rules need to be adhered to

Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    We’ve seen that before Jerry. Rules need to be adhered to
    I don't use emoticons, Folks.

Just insert 'rolling eyes'.

When I worked for an auto speed shop in the '80s, you weren't playing the game if you didn't at least try to ""cheat"".

Its a lot easier with AMCA judging...

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    I was in the Chase and made every mile and saw absolutely no evidence of any cheating. Having been along in 3 Cannonballs and now The Chase, I have been impressed in general with the honesty and integrity of the participants.
    Hi Jerry, thanks very much for checking in to this thread. When I started it I didn't expect it to become a debate on if cheating was prevalent or not but it is good to know that you didn't see any. I only mentioned it because I have read one account of a Cannonball that alleged that some people did cheat.

Putting that topic aside I was wondering if you are able to share a few words about your general view and experience of the CCC?

Thanks,

John