Thread: You just never know.

Default You just never know.

Just after I posted the Honda resto video I drove past my neighbors place across the street and there was a bike sitting behind his house I never noticed before. It looked old and like a smoker so I turned around to have a look. I knocked on his door and he said he just pulled it out from under a tarp. After 34 years. He is original owner of the 48 year old 1971 Yamaha R5-B sitting there. It was in very good condition. Original everything with 6,000 miles. Turns over, has 3 keys, tune up kit, title and owner and shop manual. Tires are crap. Sprockets too. Tank ain't bad. He said he has the tank emblems somewhere.

It's now in my garage. I said I never would restore another motorcycle 3 years ago. Ya just never know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! All that time under a tarp and it looks that GOOD? WHEW! Great find! and good luck with it. "IF" It were mine, I would probably just get it running and ride it like that. Well... you need the YAMAHA tank emblems first.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

That is exactly my plan. Ordered the new tires, fork seals, battery strap, air cleaner and missing steering dampener. Can't find a replacement seat cover though. Don't think I can save the old seat cover. Lots of small tears. Maybe a RD350 cover will work. Left fork tube has to be replaced too. Way to much rust. Right tube can be saved.

I haven't restored a smoker since I restored 2 Tohatsu's. A 1962 Runpet Sport 50(factory production racer) and a regular Runpet 50. Both all original. I was lucky enough to find an old parts stash with all the hard to find goodies. Again, Dumb luck! They were a blast to ride around the grounds at Road America.

They are only original once.

Pem, that looks like a good score.

The tank badges from that era were used in a few different models.
    The main issue I have found with two strokes that have sat for a time is the crankshaft seals drying out and becoming hard. Sucks air from outside instead of the crankcase.
    Also, less common, is the reed valves take a "set" if they sit fore a while. Can allow blowback during the intake cycle.
    Either way, good luck in getting it running again.
    Cheers,
    Mick

I like it alot. Way cool pem.
    AMCA #765