Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify this single

I'll bet you have looked at all the books with pictures of early motorcycles. Do you have any suspicions, or opinions on the maker? I love early motorcycles and would be very interested in what you think.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Hi
    Lol I’ve been looking and looking
    I can’t find anything that kinda looks the same
    Might be British

I thought it kinda looked similar to a Detroit.

I looked at the Detroit engine, and there are some good similarities; but there are also some differences such as the oil sight window on your engine which the Detroit didn't have. Also the cylinder is a bit different. Still, it does look a lot like the Detroit motor. I have to wonder about obscure manufacturers like Detroit, that may have made running changes that are now permanently lost to time. Your comment about possibly being British is also a good one because those early single motors followed a common De Dion-Bouton pattern and they all look very similar. I know that there was an early Harley-Davidson motor found a few years ago that had no embossed H-D script on the right motor case and it was speculated that it was made, and sold by H-D as a general purpose engine for-----Whatever. I know Greer, and Thor also did that and it was common in the pioneer days for enterprising gear heads to build their own bikes, or use proprietary engines for dreams of building a gasoline powered empire.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

1910 Yale ?

DSC02403.jpgDSC02402.jpgDSC02410.jpg

I tried to buy this after cleaning it up for a friend but no luck.

Looks like a sweet engine
    Thanks for posting the pictures
    What do you suggest to get my bikes rolling
    I need to find some rims and some rubber.