Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: electric start 1941 ulh

thanks kitabel. great info. got compression releases on my 93"pan. they make for good crankin. no dead battery ever. i will check offset and alignment. and try to modify a primary setup. if the project gets to deep, i'l loose the high comp heads, and go with a tin primary with a 58 pan trany. being a mutt bike, i thought electric start would be nice.

I don't think the extra static ratio of the ULH will be a problem.
    Take pictures, we all want to see this in progress!

Quote Originally Posted by scooter57 View Post
    i've considered one of these.....but still want the option to kick, until i can kick
    I hear you sayin' "Until I can't kick," Scooter. Izzenat what chew mean? and yeah, that's egg-zackley what RSES is for! When you give up bein' the He Man and showin' you can still kick your Harley for one reason or anotherrrr, but still want to ride, ain't nothin' else like it. And it bolts on, bolts off any Harley in the Four Speed Era, 1936-79.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter57 View Post
    cool set up.....if you can't start em....you can't ride em. the future for me is extending my riding days till i tire of it which i'm hopeing is the day i die.

The compression ratio of a 41ULH with the high compression (8.2) heads is the same as a 36VLH at 5.8 to one, so not so scary. The flatheads don't kick back on starting like the overhead valve models so I'd give it a try before spending big money on an electric starter.

scooter57,
    The easiest and least expensive thing I would try first is replacing the 16t main shaft starter gear with the 14t (#33430-59) used on all 4speeds '59 and up.
    This will make a significant difference in the amount of effort it takes to turn the motor over. I've used these for customers with leg problems with good results.
    The motor will turn over slower, but shouldn't be a problem assuming it's in a good state of tune.

I never thought I'd get on my high horse about originality, but the Harley black book says just 420 1941 ULH bikes were built, so there are probably under 40 left in the world today. I'm available to negotiate a purchase of the bike as is rather than see it altered by fitting electric start.

W/r/t/ "The motor will turn over slower"

A larger engine sprocket will have the same effect. Going from 23 (common on UL) to 25 increases your leverage by more than 8%.

A couple of years ago I altered a generator bottom shovel inner primary to fit a '57FL bottom end for a friend so he could have electric start. I circle milled (milled the outside of the primary to the diameter and depth) to fit in the '57 recessed area. I used a CNC mill but this could also be done on a rotary table or by outside boring. I would think this would probably work on a '41 with the frame you mentioned, not sure about starter clearance.
    Bob Rice #6738