Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Knuckleheads still kicking

I suspect, Folks....

That "used" bikes were a lot more "used" back when.

Not worth fixin'.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Well I have 5 and a possible 6 pending some parts. 3 currently running and riding and two being assembled and hunting parts for #6. When I got my first one nobody wanted a knuckle especially a 61". Everybody was crazy for pans. Still have that bike and will be the last one I ever get rid of. And Steve I also have 3 VL's, 2 -36 VLH's and a 33 VLD. So they are out there and getting ridden. There was a sizable number of knuckles at the Texas Road Run where a pic was takes. of them. My 47 was not in it but there.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I based my reply on Excelsior, and Henderson production data that is still sketchy; despite the profound efforts of Bund/Turek.
    I should have said, Excelsior numbers are still sketchy to ME. That doesn't mean other people don't understand them. I think there will always be some ambiguity about history, and original documentation; and that is what makes all motorcycle history interesting.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Having always been a Knucklehead fan and not so much Panhead I always paid attention to Knuckles for sale. A few observations..
    Most Knuckles that survive are post war due to several factors. They were more plentiful due to increased production, they were not totally worn out and were sometimes parked forever leading to good examples of OP bikes, they were bypassed when the new Panhead came out. The bad is they were cheap and good chopper fodder so many ended up very heavily modified.
    Pre-war bikes were already used and had been passed over early on for newer models, were cheap, and were expendable.
    Immediate pre-war models were run into the ground as basic transportation during the war years, both by civilian and Police/Commercial use with '41s being the most common.
    I currently have a 41EL, a 42FL, and a 47FL.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Howdy Rollo,

Here’s that assembly of knuckles, more at link below.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Events/A...2019/i-5NtrBHr

Back to the topic, and who is going to start compiling a knucklehead register? I understand the 1936 knuck register ran into problems after duplicate engine numbers started appearing.

many years back a USA guy sold 12 knucks to europe.The guy left the titles & said he did not need them so make some more!

Then there is this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lornfornwal...p2047675.l2562

You wait around long enough and your year and model is bound to show up. He and another are constantly selling paperwork and it is always out of PA.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    many years back a USA guy sold 12 knucks to europe.The guy left the titles & said he did not need them so make some more!

I keep looking at them just to make sure none of the bikes I have show up. I have clear legal titles for all mine and in some case have had the bike almost 50 years but I check just to make sure folks aren't recycling titles and one of mine shows up. Most all of these claim to be clean and clear!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    Back to the topic, and who is going to start compiling a knucklehead register? I understand the 1936 knuck register ran into problems after duplicate engine numbers started appearing.
    As a member I never heard that.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/