Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How Many Knuckleheads still kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    You certainty don't need to be a judge in order to be knowledgeable about numbers.
    Chris
    Well my grandaughter knows her numbers so what parameters would you prefer -someone who has seen counterfit numbers and has been in a role inspecting bikes AND represents the AMCA or some one like me who knows nada about how the 7 or 5 should look stamped on the crankcase of a Knucklehead- I have read on this board people commenting about counterfit stampings.

And the point of doing such a tally would be to do it accurately -but if your point is their are people here knowledgeable enough and are not AMCA judges that could do it--I believe you

Luke

My wife has volunteered to make an excel spreadsheet if needed but still need verification before data is entered.

I took pics of 4 today at Old Glory HD and have their numbers but may not have all the owners but could find that info out !
    "you gonna sit there and argue ......or FISH " Claude Leadbetter

[QUOTE=fxcw64;183075]And the point of doing such a tally would be to do it accurately -but if your point is their are people here knowledgeable enough and are not AMCA judges that could do it--I believe you

Luke

Spend a little time here and it will help you understand how to spot bad numbers.
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

[QUOTE=Chris Haynes;183076]
    Quote Originally Posted by fxcw64 View Post
    And the point of doing such a tally would be to do it accurately -but if your point is their are people here knowledgeable enough and are not AMCA judges that could do it--I believe you

Luke

Spend a little time here and it will help you understand how to spot bad numbers.
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/

Thanks Chris H -I will check out !

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I based my reply on Excelsior, and Henderson production data that is still sketchy; despite the profound efforts of Bund/Turek. It seems that history only remembers the things that get into print, regardless of accuracy. For many years, and perhaps still, many people think H-D started in 1903. Herbert Wagner did exhaustive research to present better data that puts that date at (circa) 1905, but H-D has perpetuated the story of 1903 to the point that no one questions them. The bulk of knuckleheads were built in the '30s and I would bet that the real production numbers are only known by studying the complexities of engine, and line bore numbers. The true history of knuckleheads (and perhaps all H-Ds) was lost when AMF (and fate) chose to destroy the mountains of priceless documented factory production data. Again, Herbert Wagner wrote an incredible article about the Lang connection in our magazine a few years ago. He also wrote one of my favorite motorcycle books 'Harley-Davidson 1930-1941'. If you love Harleys, you need to have that book in your collection.
    I added this book to my collection after reading your post. I found a copy on amazon for under 5 bucks. I started it last night and couldn't put it down! What a fantastic read! Thanks for the recommendation.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
    -good ol GD

MMatt
    Speaking of books I picked up Harley Davidson Knuckleheads by Field and am currently enjoying it !

Hey guys question
    If a Knucklehead has a UL # then it is a UL bottom(flathead) end with El or FL heads/jugs correct. True Knucks were only EL or FL ?

Chris H- I have looked at your site and will continue Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fxcw64 View Post
    Hey guys question
    If a Knucklehead has a UL # then it is a UL bottom(flathead) end with El or FL heads/jugs correct. True Knucks were only EL or FL ?

Chris H- I have looked at your site and will continue Thanks
    No, not anywhere near correct. If it has a UL number it is almost 100% a restamp. The bottom ends are totally different and although it is possible to build such a hybrid, it is outside the ability of most and is not at all a common engine. The total existence could be counted on one hand.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Wow Thanks Rubone you saved me from looking like a fool !! And you are correct I was mislead and that is straightened out with your help- the guy thought because the years were the same he had a knucklehead and gave me that # and I was confused since I had never known of a UL Knuck but figured it was the equivalent of people doing a Pan head/Shoval bottom.
    I guess I should have been able to figure this out since UL and WL are all either 74'' or 80'' correct ? and the early Knucks were 61'' cubic inches !!

Plus I never saw the heads on said bike it was just a pic !!

U and UL=74SV UH and ULH=80SV. W, WL, WLA, WLC, WLJ, WLH, G = 45. E, EL =61 OHV, and F,FL, FLH, FLE = 74OHV
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736