Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a newspaper article on Dad's cycle trip home in 1927

So cool that you take the time to research your family history Steve. Thanks for sharing. BTW - Harrington is but 100 miles as the crow flies from where I’m sitting.

Kevin

1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

Thanks Kevin! Yes, i am very familiar with that Northeast Nebraska area and the Fremont area as well; back in the day, around 1978, i bought three brand new 1974 Norton Commando's from Bennett Gun and Cycle. i can't remember for certain the the town you live near by; is it Fort Calhoun? That is where the '27 i restored came from; Judith Schaefer in Fort Calhoun. She was selling off things from her husband's estate, his name was Leonard Schoefer. Did you know Leonard or know of him? Or his son who is also deceased? There is a story behind his son in regards to Leonard's motorcycles, at least according to Judith...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    Thanks Kevin! Yes, i am very familiar with that Northeast Nebraska area and the Fremont area as well; back in the day, around 1978, i bought three brand new 1974 Norton Commando's from Bennett Gun and Cycle. i can't remember for certain the the town you live near by; is it Fort Calhoun? That is where the '27 i restored came from; Judith Schaefer in Fort Calhoun. She was selling off things from her husband's estate, his name was Leonard Schoefer. Did you know Leonard or know of him? Or his son who is also deceased? There is a story behind his son in regards to Leonard's motorcycles, at least according to Judith...
    Yes, Fort Calhoun. There are a lot of Schaefer’s around here, but I don’t think I knew Leonard or Judith. You never know though, the way I am with names.

Kevin

1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

Wow great story. Those articles provide insight to what it was like back then. And wow again 50 dozen donuts on weekdays and 75 dozen on Saturday! That's a lot of donuts for a small operation......even by todays standards.
    I was also surprised to hear they had paved roads for much of the trip.
    Thanks for sharing Steve
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Thanks Jason for reading the story and your reply! When i read the article, i was surprised Dad went home via St. Louis, Kansas City, as they are considerably out of the way from Hartington, Nebraska, but being able to motor the majority of the way on pavement would explain the route Dad chose. Attached are 2 pages from the album i created with all the pics i have of Dad during his trip and after he arrived home. Hopefully they are large enough to be appreciated; i didn't feel like taking them out of the album. PS: WOW! if you click 3 times on each pic, they enlarge really well! The AMCA forum is so great for the ease involved for loading pics on the forum. The fellow with plaid jacket and goggle leaning against bike with arms crossed is Richard Setter. Dad is the fellow wearing all white; sure looks like he is on an unpaved road...

Dad travel pics on way home from Cincinnati.jpgDad after he got home from Cincinnati trip.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 10-22-2019 at 11:22 PM.