Thread: Found a newspaper article on Dad's cycle trip home in 1927

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

you must be happy to fine that info on your dads trip

That had to be a deeply personal find, Steve. Thank you for sharing it. I'll bet America was an incredible place to tour on a motorcycle in 1927.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Very nice Steve!

Had you seen those photos previously? Is there text to go with them, a link to the story maybe?

Thank you fine fellows for your kind comments. That newspaper clipping was printed Thursday, August 18, 1927. it's a series of stories making it quite long; the short of it is that i was back in my old home area and went to the town library, the newspaper articles are not on line so one has to physically be at the library to research articles. i found this article of Dad's trip home from Cincinnati. His average speed was 27.3 mph. His JD consumed 24.5 gallons at 25 cents per gallon giving him gas mileage of 40 mpg. These were Dad's pictures and others (around 20) and Dad talked from time to time in general terms about that trip, so yes, it was a thrill to find that article. i also have a December 1928 article discussing Dad's Brown Bobby Donut business. and i have a machine log (attached) he kept for all too short of a period of time, that is dated April 5, 1927. So, as best i can tell, he had his JD from Spring '27, til late '28. i know he traded that '27 for a new '29; Billy Wolff H-D in Lincoln, Nebraska, but living/working on the farm with no steady income, the depression strikes and Dad had to turn teh '29 back to Billy. I met Billy in 1970, Dad came down from the old home place and wanted to see if Billy was still around. That would have been 1970. Billy remembered Dad. Billy must have been at least 70; he was a World War I vet, picture (attached). if you google Billy Wolff Harley-Davidson Lincoln Nebraska you will find more info. Here is the story associated with that sign, rather sad. Links - well, ****, the original link is gone, thank goodness it was saved.

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...d-shops/page16

Billy Wolff 1917.jpgBilly Wolff Cycles sign.jpgDad's JD log book.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 08-01-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Here's the article on Dad's Brown Bobby greaseless donut venture and pics of his delivery rig he built. i remember him telling me he took off the sidecar body, built the delivery box and here we are 92 years later. the Brown Bobby article is a long one, the original clipping is too small to read, so i took a picture of the article, may it's readable... we'll see......! Yup! if you open the article and then click on it 2 more times, it is readable! The 1st pic is my Dad with his hand on the spark control; the other is some acquaintance of his. The company the article refers to is Procter & Gamble; Dad bucked rivets for new soap vats P&G was building. Crazy, to make all that money such as the article discusses.

bbft Dad (2).jpgbbrr.jpgbbrropen.jpgbbside.jpg20190731_222547.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 08-01-2019 at 12:42 AM.