Thread: 1948 Panhead FL 6v spotlight wiring

Default 1948 Panhead FL 6v spotlight wiring

Hi Guys

I'm struggling to find wiring diagram for direct wiring of two spotlights, ie not using a handlebar switch, just using the switch on the back of each light. This info is not in Palmers and I can't find it on the web.

I need to know if they should be colour coded, length of wires etc.

I assume you just run two wires (black?) off the 'spare' terminal above the horn, to each light, and each light is earthed to the frame?

Thanks

Greg
    Last edited by harleygreg; 07-20-2019 at 04:26 PM.

That's what the terminal on the horn mount is for. The fillister-head screw on the right is "on with ignition" and the screw on the left is "on with ignition and lights." I used two appropriate lengths of an old Electrolux vacuum cleaner power cord, clipped one wire off and used the other right out of the light shell, controlled by a toggle switch. If you want the correct ball-end switch, not the modern straight-tapered one supplied with repop lights, it's an Ace Hardware standard piece; comes in a bubble pack with a 5-digit part number. But I don't have the number any longer.
    Last edited by Sargehere; 07-20-2019 at 11:21 PM.

The correct ball-end SPST toggle switch is "Gardner Bender GSW-124," available at any Ace Hardware Store in the U.S. for $4.59, list price. Ace catalog number is 3531381. Looks just like the original switches.

Great info on the Ace switch, Thanks Gerry.
    Bob Rice #6738

I don't know much, but yer welcome to it. Yer welcome, Bob! --Sarge...=o%'o

thanks Guys

Factory wiring feeds the Spotlights off of the low beam terminal so they cannot be on with high beam. If you don't care any hot when ignition on terminal will work.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736