Thread: Clutch foot lever not function properly

Default Clutch foot lever not function properly

The clutch on my 1938 Chief will not stay disengaged. I cleaned up and scuffed up the friction washer, media blasted the surface of the friction plated and tighten the spring nut as far as it would go and it would not hold the pedal in the disengaged position when the motor is running. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I had that problem with my ‘41. In my case it turned out that the pin that keeps the stationary friction plate stationary was sheered off. You’ve probably already checked that, but if not...

Kevin

1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

[QUOTE=Shaky Jake;182478]I had that problem with my ‘41. In my case it turned out that the pin that keeps the stationary friction plate stationary was sheered off. You’ve probably already checked that, but if not...

Kevin

Yep, the pin is in good shape. Thanks

How hard is it to depress the pedal?
    IF the chutch disc stack is a little high the spring tension is higher and may be to much for the friction disc.
    Tom

Check with Mike at Kiwi to see if he has the correct tension spring and old style disc in stock.

The pedal is not really hard to depress, but I have been wondering if the clutch springs might be the cause of the problem. Guess it makes sense to go there next. Thanks