Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New on the Block! 1909 Indian single, Mag Timing question!!!!

I thought I’d give you guys an update. I used a dial indicator to find TDC, then backed the piston back down the cylinder exactly 3/8” (.375 with the dial indicator), set the mag to full advance and adjusted the contact points to just breaking & inserted the idler gear. All went like clock work. Then to double check where I would be with full retarded timing, I position the piston back to TDC and found the points where just breaking ATDC. Now I know it won’t kick back when I’m trying to start it & should have plenty of advance. Thanks for the help!

A nit picking point, but you should always bring the piston up to 3/8" BTDC in the direction the motor will run. The reasoning is due to slop in the timing gears which could effect timing by a few degrees. However, single cylinder motors are very forgiving, and what's a few degrees between you and your motor
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Thanks for the reminder Eric, and yes, I did consider that in my adjustment. There was quite a bit of slop in the gear teeth as well as a bit in the shaft bushings. I lubed it all up well with an industrial grease made for that situation, it should operate quietly now.

If the cams and idler gear bushings have oil holes like later models I would put together with the oil your going to use in the motor.I would be concerned about grease clogging the oil holes.
    Tom

Bobster thanks for the photos cool old bike for sure , Rob

Good thought Tom & the lube I used is more of a gear lube that does flow and mixes with any other motor oils. When I had the gear cover off as well as the gears for cleaning I didn’t see any path back into the engine. There is a hole with a spring loaded cover at the top of the gear case. My 09’ doesn’t have the engine oil pump like the 10’. With the amount of gear play and shaft clearances I thought the little beaver lube would help. Thanks for the heads up.

I've had a few early motorcycles, and oiling is based on what an engineer thought could splash into the right place. Even early pumps were nothing more than dribblers for the timing gears. No pressure feed, or focused oiling. Oiling theory has been an ongoing debate for well over 100 years. I think it's great that you are bringing that 1909 Indian back to life, Bobster.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886