Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 48 Neck forging

Quote Originally Posted by Sargehere View Post
    Welded. Welding came in about 1943. After that, they were all welded. Also recommend WASCO, who knows what he's doing.
    Welding on Big Twin frames started October 1944. However the necks and axle plates continued to be brazed through 1947.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Thanks for the reply.
    Would still like an answer to my two questions on my previous reply if anyone has any feedback. For example, if the bike were being judged, what affect does an aftermarket neck forging have? What would it mean in terms of value of the frame.? Do I want to go through the trouble of shipping out the frame as opposed to simply returning the neck to the correct angle and weld new gussets.
    Thanks,
    Sam

If the neck has all the correct hallmarks great. If it doesn't, it's going to gravely effect the value of the frame. Nobody is going to invest in a restoration on a bum frame. Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    If the neck has all the correct hallmarks great. If it doesn't, it's going to gravely effect the value of the frame. Nobody is going to invest in a restoration on a bum frame. Bob L
    *sigh*

(Remember when we were consumers, not investors?)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Thanks for all the replies

I thought I would take a chance and get a forging from V-Twin. The bore for the stem was off center. The machining for the bore for the down tubes was so off center, it left what remained of the casting paper thin. I returned it as they indicated none of them were perfect but were OK as is!!. V-Twins idea of OK is not OK. I contacted Wasco hoping that he did his machining in house but that was not the case. In as much as no matter what I do will not make this a correct frame for a restoration, I have decided to simply de-rake it with steel gussets. Wasco offers a de-rake kit for $28.00. I have access to a frame table and tech that built drag race frames.

Just my 2 cents. If you install the Wasco lock casting # (W-076) and cleanly dress the welds, it will make your frame worth more than just using the derake kit. Although it's $90.00 vs. $28.00.
    Craig

Craig, that was worth at least 10 cents. I just ordered the lock casting and the the lock. Richard said he would throw in the lock pin assembly if he can find one. Thanks for the heads up.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by 38plymouth View Post
    Craig, that was worth at least 10 cents. I just ordered the lock casting and the the lock. Richard said he would throw in the lock pin assembly if he can find one. Thanks for the heads up.
    Sam
    No charge !! V-twin sells the lock kit if Wasco is sold out.
    Craig

Wasco is expert at restoring raked necks and making them look like new.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/