Thread: 73 Iron Head Rebuild

Default 73 Iron Head Rebuild

Any body recommend a good ironhead engine rebuilder on the east coast, dripping bad, engine runs good but could use a freshening up. I dont trust my local dealers, need someone who is old school, and knows what their doing ...thanx brett

Harley rebuilders of Charleston sc rebuilt my 61 xlh before I bought it, the po gave me all the receipts as to what was done, it runs great, thanks, larry

Ah another one of those 900 to 1000 factory conversions rears its head! Better be sure your rebuilder has seen these motors before. I had a brand new 73 XLCH, it was a beauty and very powerful but tended to shake itself apart and in those days Dealer parts inventory left one to his own devices to keep them on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    Ah another one of those 900 to 1000 factory conversions rears its head! Better be sure your rebuilder has seen these motors before. I had a brand new 73 XLCH, it was a beauty and very powerful but tended to shake itself apart and in those days Dealer parts inventory left one to his own devices to keep them on the road.
    Well a new 2018 harley reared its head in my life , soooo il dont care it it sits 5 yrs until i fix it...

Quote Originally Posted by brettxlch View Post
    Any body recommend a good ironhead engine rebuilder on the east coast, dripping bad, engine runs good but could use a freshening up. I dont trust my local dealers, need someone who is old school, and knows what their doing ...thanx brett
    I do my own work, so I can't recommend any rebuilder -- however, if you're coming to Wauseon there will be a fairly large gathering of sportster nuts . . . including more than one guy who owned or owns independent shops specializing in ironheads. Drop me a PM if you're coming and we can get you connected with some folks who can answer your questions straight up and get you sorted.