Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another unknown Wisconsin Motorcycle?

Wick type also known as surface carburetors

Quote Originally Posted by brettxlch View Post
    Evinrude!!!!Man i guess ive gotta lot to learn...seems very fascinating learning learning about the pioneers of early bikes, seems like most people only hear ford,benz......sometimes as i drive by old barns garages no longer used, what one would find in them, long lost motorbikes cars...
    I had a late sixty's Evinrude boat motor. It was called the Sportster and the throttle grip was the same style as used on '62-'64 HD's.
    Bob Rice #6738

I just love talking about these old motorcycles. Merkel was selling all kinds of motorcycle parts back then. Somewhere I have an ad where they list frames, forks, etc. for sale. I got to dig that up. That tomato can carb(surface carb)was the best(was it?)they had in 1904/05. Did Merkel use that too? And sell it?

Something jogged my remembry and I looked up both the 1904 HD race and the 1905 HD race at the Wis. State Fairgrounds. Duffy posted those census records and Edward Hildebrand wasn't listed nor was he in the city directory if I remember correctly. But Paul was. And Paul Hildebrand was at that race in 1905 riding a HD with Perry, Walter and Henry Meyer. I'm thinking Paul Hildebrand was racing that HD in 1904. Not Edward. It was pretty common back in those days for newspapers to get their information mixed up. In one of the 1905 articles in the Milwaukee Free Press they listed Perry as Percy. And Paul Hildbrand, like Perry, was a machinist and both Paul and Perry left HD and went their separate ways. Or did they? We know Perry went on to build automobiles around 1907/08 and Paul Hildebrand became a member of the Comet Motorcycle Club which also had members who rode Advance and Greyhound Motorcycles among others. Did Paul and Perry work on that 1904/05 HD motor? Did they help with both the Advance and Comet motor? All 3 motors were similar in design.

It would be nice if someone could makeup a list of say....1920 and back of all the american motorcycle makers...wonder how many small and forgotten names, their would be..
    Last edited by brettxlch; 06-20-2019 at 09:13 PM.

The club has that list. If I recall correctly over 350 known American brands prior to 1930.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I would love to see that list. Anybody have it?

I think the Hanlon Bros..buttheads that did EX/Hen had alist of 200 or so.Somewhere I have that.

Quote Originally Posted by pem View Post
    I would love to see that list. Anybody have it?
    I 2nd that didn't know it existed...

This list appeared in Easyriders magazine in the early 1990's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

This list by Michael Gerald and Jim Lucas first appeared in Road Rider magazine in August 1979 and was updated in 1980
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.