Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another unknown Wisconsin Motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    I’m guessing there were few, if any, requirements for lighting (we do see old photos of bikes without any lights)...at least legally required lights anyway. FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) originated in the 1960’s, so if there were legal requirements they would have been from local or state regulations.

Customer demand for lights must have been the driving (err...riding) force behind lighted motorcycles?
    Harry, you are exactly right. Somewhere I have regulations passed by different jurisdictions. There were no national requirements. Like you say local regulations pre 1910. One of the biggest forces driving regulations was farmers. They had a hell of a time with cattle and horses spooked by motorcycles and autos. Especially the motorcycles with cutouts or no mufflers at all. And I've read about accidents caused by no lights on the vehicles. There were quite a few accidents back in the day. Lots of people died. Not to mention how many people died from runaway horses and wagons. That was almost a common everyday occurrence. And boiler explosions. And train wrecks. It was pretty exciting around the turn of the 20th century. And just think about 20,000 horses shitting on the streets of New York or Chicago everyday. OMG!

Here's a tongue-in-cheek article from the Watertown Times. For automobiles but it applies to motorcycles in this time period. July 1911. Ya gotta remember pre-1910 there were no roads even remotely comparable to today's roads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Your first picture sure looks a lot like H-D's First machine. This picture is from 1912 after some modifications had been done.
    Much simpler times ill bet....When people didnt have all the rules and regs of todays society....young man looks pretty happy and proud in pic...

This is the famous #599 photo found by Herb in the early 1990's in the basement of the Milwaukee County Historical Society. If you want the story on this photo read Herb's book "At the Creation". H.D. didn't even know about this photo till Herb told them. Nor did they know about the other 1,000 glass plate negatives. I was lucky enough to make a photograph from the original glass plate negative before H.D. took them.

The 1905 H.D. motor, the 1908 Comet motor and the 1908 Advance motor are all similar but not the same. Who designed the motor they were all based on. Merkel? Mitchell? Evinrude? Mack? Leet? Kitlitschko? Harley? Fielbach? We may never know.

Edward Hildebrand was at H.D. in 1904. Paul and Otto Hildebrand were members of the Comet Motorcycle Club and were machinist. Were they brothers? They lived on 40th St. H.D. was on 37th St. Leet was on 37th St. Was the Advance made in Leet's garage? Comet was at 34th St. You know dam well they all knew each other.

Old documents and photos still turn up once in a while. Maybe we'll get lucky.

1910 Ward 15,Milwaukee census..Parents,Gustav & Matilda Hildebrand,born Germany..Paul 26 b-Wis, Gustav 25 b-Iowa,Otto 24 b-Iowa...Emma 22 Wis,Walter 16 Wis....There is Edward at Fondue Lac WW1 registry b-1884,not shown in Milwaukee 1900-1910....confusing because another Paul b-1869 Germany buried in Milwaukee
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 06-18-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks Duffy,I guess that answers that question. Apparently Edward was from a different family. I always forget about the U.S Census. Thanks again.

Ther is "free family search" & "find a grave" for free info...I did the find a grave connections for The Davidson family a couple years ago+..also Kretz etc

Quote Originally Posted by pem View Post
    This is the famous #599 photo found by Herb in the early 1990's in the basement of the Milwaukee County Historical Society. If you want the story on this photo read Herb's book "At the Creation". H.D. didn't even know about this photo till Herb told them. Nor did they know about the other 1,000 glass plate negatives. I was lucky enough to make a photograph from the original glass plate negative before H.D. took them.

The 1905 H.D. motor, the 1908 Comet motor and the 1908 Advance motor are all similar but not the same. Who designed the motor they were all based on. Merkel? Mitchell? Evinrude? Mack? Leet? Kitlitschko? Harley? Fielbach? We may never know.

Edward Hildebrand was at H.D. in 1904. Paul and Otto Hildebrand were members of the Comet Motorcycle Club and were machinist. Were they brothers? They lived on 40th St. H.D. was on 37th St. Leet was on 37th St. Was the Advance made in Leet's garage? Comet was at 34th St. You know dam well they all knew each other.

Old documents and photos still turn up once in a while. Maybe we'll get lucky.
    Evinrude!!!!Man i guess ive gotta lot to learn...seems very fascinating learning learning about the pioneers of early bikes, seems like most people only hear ford,benz......sometimes as i drive by old barns garages no longer used, what one would find in them, long lost motorbikes cars...
    Last edited by brettxlch; 06-18-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spell

Quote Originally Posted by brettxlch View Post
    Evinrude!!!!Man i guess ive gotta lot to learn...seems very fascinating learning learning about the pioneers of early bikes, seems like most people only hear ford,benz......sometimes as i drive by old barns garages no longer used, what one would find in them, long lost motorbikes cars...
    Ole Evinrude is credited with designing the first carburetor for H-D. Its float bowl was about the size and shape of a small can of tomato paste. It became known as The Tomato Can.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Tomato can carbs were wick type carb with a bowl full of fuel & a wick up into the intake tract,that as the air passed into the motor the air picked up fuel from the wick.I believe the first HD carb was wick type & Ole was recruited to create the next carb,not the first.Tomato can/wick type carbs were on many first machines,not just HD.....I have an article about Glenn Curtiss where he talks about his first carb..a tomato can carb/wick type..he said it actually worked quite well.That was before the first HD carb was made.
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 06-19-2019 at 10:19 AM.