Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White Grips- 1916 J

I went thru all my old pics of '15 & my original lit.My '15 sidecar catalog shows white tires on cover.All of the original pics I have saved of production machines show black,some look like brand new machines.None of my lit & pics show white grips or footboard mats,only black.My old buddy's bike had the original tires still on it from known history,they were black.I have lots of restored pics with white.

0c71a70cc049976cc3528b1b51f52b71.jpg0AA3_zps2aabc1es.jpg
    I agree with Roger that most every picture I have seen of pre-'24 Harleys have black grips. On tires, I have seen more 'white' tires than black, and also many white wall tires on pre-'20 vintage bikes. Again, the tires of that vintage are not white like today's reproduction tires. I believe the color could be anywhere between black, and natural gum tan.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

The carbon black tires were darker on the tread than the sides.Erics first pic looks euro.The second looks like carbon black to me.My old buddy had new replacement tires hanging on the wall & never had put them on because the were all very black & did not really match the originals that were still on his '15.The handgrips & footboard mats were black,probably more carbon added because they did not have to flex & did not want as gummy of feel as the tires had,even with carbon black added.I do have 1 original '15 pic with white tires.

yardld.jpg

I've been collecting pictures from the CAIMAG 'vintage pics of the day' for years and I have to say the tires for teens and earlier bikes are overwhelmingly 'light' in color. This picture clearly shows the difference between 'white' tires, and a black tire on the Excelsior on the far right.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

85afd61dce48be20f5c2b9d3d8596989.jpg

I particularly like this picture of Wells Bennett on a 1919 Excelsior with whitewall tires.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    first pic is 1914..second is round tank '16 or later & is color black
    Footboards in 1914?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Footboards in 1914?
    Yes Chris. 1914 was the first year for footboards on Harley's
    Mark

I think it also has the 2 speed lever on the tank for a model 10F I think..high speed twin for 14