Thread: 27 JD Starter clutch

Default 27 JD Starter clutch

The starter clutch on my 27 JD is well stuck. None of my pullers have been able to pull it off.
    Does anybody know if there is a dedicated puller to remove it?
    The whole gearbox looks good and I am hoping to just be able to put in new bearings and seals.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Can I pull the inner and outer bearing with the starter gears?
    20190527_174425.jpg

Just a taper and a key way. The problem here is laying waste to the threads on the end of the shaft with the puller. Do you have more room than normal behind it as the bearing housing is unscrewed from the tranny case? If ya can't get it off. Get the cut off blade out.

Once I had the mainshaft removed from the housing, I was able to get enough room to remove the starter gear and bearing.
    20190528_094321.jpg20190528_094526.jpg

I set up a bearing puller behind the bearing adjuster sleeve and the oil slinger, making sure I hadn't picked up the ball bearings. Made sure I was using the flat face of the bearing puller against the threaded bearing adjuster. It is always good practice the leave a nut on the end of the shaft to push against the nut and shaft together, also stops everything falling on the floor when the taper releases. Made sure the puller bolt did not go inside the shaft to spread the end. A few turns of the puller bolt and the whole thing popped loose.

Next was to remove the bearing itself.

20190528_100020.jpg

Do not pull on the bearing itself, as I did, the inner race butts up against the mainshaft and there is no way to get access to it.
    The sliding gear, oil slinger and inner bearing race all come of together, usually not very tight.

These operations can be done the same way if you have a press in your workshop.