Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 46 Knuck

Default 46 Knuck

I just installed a new belt drive on my 46 Knucklehead because Iím so sick of the oil trail on my garage floor and when I take it to show it off at friends houses.
    When I did this I plugged the primary chain Oiler. So the first time I rode it after a couple of miles It started loosing a lot of oil on top of my front head dripping down the front exhaust and generator.
    Could this be from plugging the primary chain Oiler?

Flathead

You cannot plug the primary chain oiler because it is also the crankcase vent. You have to shut the oil off at the pump with the needle and then I reroute the crank case pipe to the rear chain.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead80 View Post
    I just installed a new belt drive on my 46 Knucklehead because I’m so sick of the oil trail on my garage floor and when I take it to show it off at friends houses.
    When I did this I plugged the primary chain Oiler. So the first time I rode it after a couple of miles It started loosing a lot of oil on top of my front head dripping down the front exhaust and generator.
    Could this be from plugging the primary chain Oiler?

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead80 View Post
    I just installed a new belt drive on my 46 Knucklehead because I’m so sick of the oil trail on my garage floor and when I take it to show it off at friends houses....
    Flathead80!

Lets start with the natural bodily function called 'sumping'.
    That's when a machine isn't put to duty often enough, or far enough, to purge the cases of idle seepage past the ball check.

Do I understand you threw money at a belt drive just for a hygienic display?

It would have been cheaper 'n easier to drain the oil tank into a jug.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-22-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

What Jerry said....

Beware also, Flathead80,

If you installed a seal upon the motor sprocket shaft for your belt-drive, now your cases can fill all the way up.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Be very gentle when turning off the primary oiling screw. If you over tighten it you will break the seat and lose all control.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

This is starting to sound like a bad idea 46 knuck.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Thank you Chris

I've had belt drives on several Panheads for years. Pulley alignment during installation is crucial to satisfactory belt life. Make sure you have enough play in the belt, as the pulleys swell up as they warm, tightening
    belt tension. I haven't had a tin primary bike with a chain since the 70s, and would never go back.
    VPH-D

Kevlar primary belt conversion is an unqualified blessing for the old Harley Big Twins. I've had a BDL "kickstart" converson on my UL for years; never had a hint of a problem. But yes, you do have to stop the primary oil at the needle valve on the gearcase on the other side. All that accumulates in the primary cover is black dust as the belt itself slowly (very slowly) deteriorates, but that's no prob. It's as smooth as can be...and quiet.

I live in the South, but found that belts have improved so much that extra venting of the primary isn't even necessary for the modern Kevlar belts. I've got thousands of miles on mine, and thousands to go with no signs failure. Don't get the belt TOO tight. Leave a little slack. Tight's bad for main bearing/trans mainshaft bearings. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sargehere; 05-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.