Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding seat removal from 1925 frame

Default Question regarding seat removal from 1925 frame

Here is the photo , what is the proper removal procedure ? Is this seat post secured from bottom? I was under impression that it will have adjusting nut some place or is it one height fits all type IMG_5869.jpgIMG_5868.jpg

The nut that would have held the seat post in is missing (2nd photo). It is not uncommon for the seat post to stuck quite firmly in the seat tube especially on bikes that have been out in the weather. Removed a few stuck ones in my day and have at times used heat or porta-powers to get them out.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Here is the photo , what is the proper removal procedure ? Is this seat post secured from bottom? I was under impression that it will have adjusting nut some place or is it one height fits all type IMG_5869.jpgIMG_5868.jpg

The height adjusting nut is inside the frame above that nut that is missing.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post

Thanks Jerry ,
    Is it very bottom of the seat tube were is missing nut located ? Do i use heat and solvent to that section and try to push it upward ?

There was a nut on the exposed end that has now been cut off. I would load it up with your preferred penetrant and it looks like you could use a puller of some sort to pull the frame off while pushing out the remaining post. If it doesn't come right out, (I wouldn't expect it to), at least you could leave pressure on it while the penetrant does its thing. Give a turn or 2 on the puller every day to maintain pressure until you achieve the desired result. Patience! Good luck, hope this helps. Smitty

You are going to bust your ass getting that seat post out. Everyone has been there, and everyone has a tale to tell about how they got their seat post out
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I would under bore it with an angular cutter bit at both ends, I'd have that thing out of there faster than you could spin your head. I love it when the engineers step up to the plate here. Thank god you don't work for me. Bob Luland

Indeed, a potentially nasty and challenging situation to be in! Applying continual pressure over time combined with occasional heat with patience and perseverance will prevail. Making up a screw puller inside a tube that will seat against the top of the frame tube as pressure is applied to the seat post likely will effect the possibility of moving the post. that or a substantial slide hammer, but imho, consistently applied pressure of a puller is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    I would under bore it with an angular cutter bit at both ends, I'd have that thing out of there faster than you could spin your head. I love it when the engineers step up to the plate here. Thank god you don't work for me. Bob Luland
    If you're talking to me, Bob, I don't have an annular cutter (let alone the right size), and a Bridgeport mill to put it in. Most guys have the basic hand tools, maybe a drill press, and a lot of ambition. I based my comment on what most people have in their home shop.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I will take my time and let you guys know it goes. I know it is going to be a challenge with the tools I have or do not have but will give it my best. Thanks for tips !