Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flanders handlebars

Default Flanders handlebars

I keep seeing older and new bars identified as Flanders bars. Often used ones on eBay as well. I know I canít generally identify the manufacturer of one piece of pipe from another unless itís stamped somewhere. I do know original Flanders bars are sometimes credited with having the bend arrangement that is now a modern day standard.

How do people identify Flanders bars?

Thanks,
    Craig

(Ps, I did search but found more posts on Flanders bikes than anything)

The throttle cable and ignition advance/retard cable (internal) will exit the bars just after the first bend starts to rise and will have a nice little flair at the opening. Flanders did make later bars for external controls but I don't think that's what your talking about. There is a gentleman in the upper Midwest that makes excellent copies of the early Flanders and Stelling bars. I hope this helps.
    DrSprocket

Keep in mind that Flanders still makes bars, so the name Flanders appears on bars from the '40s to date, so even brand new bars are Flanders branded. Vintage Flanders bars made to use their own or others risers were made in a variety of shapes, widths, and control treatments. Some were made to use the stock controls for either H-D or Indian. Some use the spark control and had a plain side for an "English" style throttle (external cable), some have no controls at all. As stated, all Flanders bars have the cable exit near the lower bend. They are generally stamped with a number underneath on the center flat portion, usually a number between 1 and 12 designating the "bend". Hellings and Stellings also made bars and risers, their risers were clamp on angled type without rubber mounts. They are similar bars to Flanders but tended to be more sweeping designs with narrower mid sections. Tom Faber reproduces both kinds as well as stock H-D bars. Wide Flanders pictured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rubone; 05-15-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thanks guys, I feel that I have really learned something today!

Craig

Here is a pic of Hellings style risers with a pair of more modern Flanders in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Although Flanders is still in business they no longer make H-D & Indian bars with internal controls. These bars are now made by Tom Faber. http://www.fabercycle.com/
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Robbie, or anyone else; do you like the Flanders bars, and riser set-up. How does it compare to stock, or is just a nice period custom feature?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric, The difference is that with the Flanders setup you can adjust the fit of the bars to your arm length, height, etc. With stock bars you just have the same low position.
    DrSprocket

Thanks, Rich. That makes a lot of sense. I have a Flanders set that I've considered putting on my '48FL but it needs to be re-chromed which is a pricey deal these days. . . . And I am a bit tight fisted
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric; If you have your Flanders triple clamp re-chromed, make sure that you tell your chrome shop not to polish the ears that the dog bones clamp to. This happened to me some years ago and I couldn't tighten the clamp enough to hold it in one place. I had to go back to the chrome shop and have them build up some more chrome to make it work again. I have used a Flanders set up on my ULH for over 45 years. And as Rich says, they are adjustable and to me more comfortable than the stock set up. When I have taken a test ride on a repaired Knuckle or Side Valve, the stock bars are at my knees. Also, I have attached a pic of the Flanders vs. Harley triple clamps. Some people confuse the two. The Flanders is on top. I hope this helps.
    CraigCIMG1227.JPGCIMG1228.JPGCIMG1230.JPG