Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 more JD's for the road

Mick, both of my generator gears are not recessed on either of my '27's, the nut tightens against the flat face of both gears.

Steve,
    I went and did some more research.
    It looks like that drive gear is for a JDH, and has a stepped nut that tightens it.
    I pulled another gear of one of my spare generators and it i snow on and tight.
    Cheers

I finally have the motor closed up. I only had early coils so I had to use a distributor for the time being. Looking for a 28-29 timer and coil.

20190526_125843.jpg20190526_125857.jpg20190526_125906.jpg

Waiting on some control coil fittings to finish the control cables. One question I have is how do you hold the cable spiral to the handlebars. They push out of the bars when the spiral pushed the inner. They don't go through the handlebars to anchor with a long switch screw, as others do, nor do they go into the handlebars to install the "collars" to hold them.
    The hole in the bars is too small for the cable outer.
    Any ideas will be welcome.

Next project is to look into the transmission. I already know the main bearings are loose, so sort of expecting the worst.

I was checking out my 26 and it has what I think is a 26-27 timer, as it should have. Someone has installed a distrubutor coil, so I am looking for another coil now.
    I think this timer uses the 1588-26 timer cap. I can't find these anywhere, does any body know where i can get one?

20190526_125935.jpg

Cheers,
    Mick

Mick, if i understand your question correctly, the spiral is held in place by a threaded plug at the end of each handlebar. there are two plug types; slotted and hex, without looking in parts book, i can't remember which pug is correct for what.

1926 was last year for distributor ignition. 1927 was the first year for a wasted spark timer setup that went through 1929, however there are variations in the timer caps. 1927 had its own model year cap. 28-29 shared the same cap. if a 26 was converted from distributor ignition to timer ignition the factory made available a cap all of its own to fit the 26 distributor base.. i know that for certain on the cap . However, i am not familiar with the 26 distributor base, rotor set up, but i can tell you for certain the base on your 26 is not a 27 base. and your distributor set up on the 29 is what the 26 came from the factory with.

As an aside, when we were firing up my buddy's '29 fo the first time, it would not fire, i removed the distributor cap and it fired right up. Be forewarned. Rat Dave with Harbor Vintage has the cap you want. it is taller than most of the caps sold by other. the the first timer cap my buddy had on his bike was shorter than the cap Rat Dave sells; Rat Dave knows the difference. i am not sure what bike the shorter cap is for.

the tall type cap on the banged up green 29 bike is the tall type. the other 2 pics are period pics of 26's, you can see the the distributor cap on both bikes.

1926 1.jpg26JD sailor.jpg29jd.9.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 05-26-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks Steve, I will have to look and see if the threads are still in the handle bars. That was something I considered doing anyway.
    Any idea what year timer is in the picture of my 26?
    I have later model ones that have a high body that the points sit down maybe an inch from the top, or maybe someone has changed the cam to one that doesn't have the rotor drive extension.

the short answer is i don't know. i've been looking at my 22-27, 22-28 and 27-31 parts books and am not finding a quick answer. we need a J-type expert, seems they aren't around anymore or aren't pitying us to answer!

i have seen that base before, bu the bases on my '27, they are like a cup, not simply flat with no walls like the one in you picture.
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 05-26-2019 at 06:19 PM.

I have three "cup" types, two with rotor drives and one without, as well as the one in the photo.
    The threads in the handlebars you mention are well gone, have to figure out something else.

I am not sure my battery box is original, the wooden base doesn't look like a HD part.20190526_163829.jpg

the rotor on your '26 timer looks like what i would expect top see on 27-29.

got pics of entire box? the wood part is a special one of piece and no longer grows on trees....

I agree on the timer.
    I counted the growth rings of the wood and it looks like a 1922 part.

I have replaced the main gear split bush on my 1927 mainshaft. I now need to turn it down to size.
    can anybody tell me what clearance I need to machine to to suit the high gear ID?

Thank you,
    Mick