Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 more JD's for the road

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2 more JD's for the road

I have 2 JD projects to do this summer.
    A 1926 and a 1929.
    My current plan is to have both these bikes as riders by the end of the year.
    I don't have any plans to restore them yet. I am looking out for a sidecar or, preferably, a package truck.
    Depending on what I can find, one of these bikes might get restored.
    I have collected a lot of the OEM parts I need to replace the repo and missing parts, but am still short of some stuff. mainly lights and horns.
    The 1929 apparently has a fully reconditioned motor that has never been started, however I suspect it is a 61" motor in JD cases.

All the usual work to do, straighten bent parts. replace incorrect parts, chase threads etc.
    I had better do some spring cleaning around the house first, as I won't do it once I start on the bikes.
    Cheers,
    Mick

1926-1.jpg1926-2.jpg20190510_101656.jpg1929-1.jpg1929-2.jpg

Look forward to following. Good luck.

Mike Love

I envy you, Mick. You have 2 great projects there, and there is a lot of enthusiasm for later J model Harleys in our hobby. Electrical parts are the most difficult to find, and often the most expensive, as I'm sure you know. I have a 1919 Henderson that I spent many years tracking down the electrical parts for. The generator was the toughest part I have ever had to find and I had to buy a whole motor to get that generator. Like Mike, I look forward to seeing your progress on those beautiful motorcycles.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I envy you, Mick. You have 2 great projects there, and there is a lot of enthusiasm for later J model Harleys in our hobby. Electrical parts are the most difficult to find, and often the most expensive, as I'm sure you know. I have a 1919 Henderson that I spent many years tracking down the electrical parts for. The generator was the toughest part I have ever had to find and I had to buy a whole motor to get that generator. Like Mike, I look forward to seeing your progress on those beautiful motorcycles.
    I 2nd that ide luv to have either bike...

I finally have the motor closed up. I only had early coils so I had to use a distributor for the time being. Looking for a 28-29 timer and coil.

20190526_125843.jpg20190526_125857.jpg20190526_125906.jpg

Waiting on some control coil fittings to finish the control cables. One question I have is how do you hold the cable spiral to the handlebars. They push out of the bars when the spiral pushed the inner. They don't go through the handlebars to anchor with a long switch screw, as others do, nor do they go into the handlebars to install the "collars" to hold them.
    The hole in the bars is too small for the cable outer.
    Any ideas will be welcome.

Next project is to look into the transmission. I already know the main bearings are loose, so sort of expecting the worst.

I was checking out my 26 and it has what I think is a 26-27 timer, as it should have. Someone has installed a distrubutor coil, so I am looking for another coil now.
    I think this timer uses the 1588-26 timer cap. I can't find these anywhere, does any body know where i can get one?

20190526_125935.jpg

Cheers,
    Mick

Mick, if i understand your question correctly, the spiral is held in place by a threaded plug at the end of each handlebar. there are two plug types; slotted and hex, without looking in parts book, i can't remember which pug is correct for what.

1926 was last year for distributor ignition. 1927 was the first year for a wasted spark timer setup that went through 1929, however there are variations in the timer caps. 1927 had its own model year cap. 28-29 shared the same cap. if a 26 was converted from distributor ignition to timer ignition the factory made available a cap all of its own to fit the 26 distributor base.. i know that for certain on the cap . However, i am not familiar with the 26 distributor base, rotor set up, but i can tell you for certain the base on your 26 is not a 27 base. and your distributor set up on the 29 is what the 26 came from the factory with.

As an aside, when we were firing up my buddy's '29 fo the first time, it would not fire, i removed the distributor cap and it fired right up. Be forewarned. Rat Dave with Harbor Vintage has the cap you want. it is taller than most of the caps sold by other. the the first timer cap my buddy had on his bike was shorter than the cap Rat Dave sells; Rat Dave knows the difference. i am not sure what bike the shorter cap is for.

the tall type cap on the banged up green 29 bike is the tall type. the other 2 pics are period pics of 26's, you can see the the distributor cap on both bikes.

1926 1.jpg26JD sailor.jpg29jd.9.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 05-26-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Help with front end.
    I have assembled a 1929 front end, with brake.
    Once I put it on the frame, I have an issue with the fork stop.
    The front end I took off didn't have a brake anchor on it, but the fork stop lined up with the frame stop.

The 29 front end didn't line up with the frame stop, it rides over the top of the frame stop.
    The fork stop on the 29 rear fork is 1/2" higher than the rear fork i took off.

The 29 front end is not an I beam front end.
    Can anybody help identify what year my 29 rear fork is please, or where this misalignment comes from?

I have two 29 frames and both frame fork stops are in the same place.

Thank you,
    Mick

As I have been going through this 29 in detail, I am finding out things I hadn't noticed yet.
    One item was the frame head stem. It looks like someone has added some strengthening brazed onto both sides of the head-stem.
    It is a very neat job, and i wonder if this may be a factory fix. Has anybody seen anything like these before.

Whatever the ideas behind this mod, it wasn't successful. A crack in the head-stem developed at the bottom edge of the additional parts. This crack is the full width of the head-stem, and will need to be repaired before the bike is put on the road.

Currently changing the rear fork for a 1929 model with the front brake anchor bracket.

I found another late breaker in my stash, but still need a pair of 29 coils.
    Hope to get to Dixon this weekend and find some of the parts I still need.
    20190609_134745.jpg20190609_134756.jpgCrack.jpg

I was getting my 29 ready to start this afternoon.

Connected a remote fuel tank, turned on the fuel and had a nice stream of fuel spraying directly onto the coil.
    I figured this is not right, so I checked out the carby.
    The float level was very high, so I adjusted that, then filled up the bowl off the bike. Still overflowed, then noticed the float wasn't moving.

I always look at Cottons carby posts as he has a lot more experience with the old carbies than I do. I always was a bit dubious when he would state that some floats don't float. I should have trusted his experience as that is exactly what I found. A brand new float that doesn't float. How can people sell these?
    20190628_193304[1].jpg
    It is a bit hard to see, but this is a horshoe shaped float.

My 29 had a good M1 on it when I got it. I changed it out for a reconditioned DLX 66, which may be correct for a 29JD.
    I swapped out an old cork float and got the bike running for the first time in possibly 50 years. The Maine number plate has a label for 1967, so I assume it hasn't been on the road since then.
    It won't idle properly yet, I at least need a new float.

Who is selling good floats these days?

Generator is charging nicely at 2-3 amps, converted to two brush. Oil pump is pumping.
    I will check the tanks next week to see what condition they are in, then it should be ready for a road test.

I noticed that both tires were not fully seated on the rims, so another job I had to do.

Steve,
    I went and did some more research.
    It looks like that drive gear is for a JDH, and has a stepped nut that tightens it.
    I pulled another gear of one of my spare generators and it i snow on and tight.
    Cheers