Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prep frame for paint media blasting what type ?

I have always blasted any frame I am going to paint.
    Blasting can open up any cracks or issues that you can't normally see if you are don't blast, sanding or wire wheel can cover them up.
    "Good" paint is specified to be applied over a specific surface profile. Blasting is the only way to generate this surface profile.
    Any other procedure usually smooth out the profile "peaks", resulting in lesser adhesion.

Mick

Anybody ever magnaflux with a generator growler?

Got the powder, but never found a crack,..

So I don't know if it works.

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I have done it successfully with the proper magnet, don't know what sort of magnetic field a growler puts out.
    You usually want the magnet to be hand held, a growler is too heavy to move around easily.
    From my school days, I think a growler has a north and south pole on either side of the core.
    A magnaflux magnet uses the metal being tested as one of the poles.
    Don't quote me on this as school was a long time ago.
    Cheers

A long time ago for me too, Mick,..

I routinely used a Magnaflux-brand hand-held pushbutton thingy, found many a faulty auto rod, head, or block, and got paid for it.
    It seemed like it had two "feet". But a growler may be just one big one.

The boss said I should put down newspapers to make clean-up and throwing the espensive powder away easier.
    (That was over three decades ago, and I have a lifetime supply! He was a genius.}

Used it for rods and tranny gears religiously, but if there was never a crack to begin with, I don't know if it works, for sure...

...Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    AMCA #776

I've had parts ruined by sandblasting companies so choose your vendor wisely. I had a Flying Merkel wheel run over by a fork lift at a blasting company, and friends who dropped off good frames and got bent frames back. I've done countless frames and I try to use good judgment, and my own experience. Good surface prep applies to any object that will be painted, and that is based on common sense.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric,
    Common sense applies to the blasting as well.
    Experience is worth a fortune.
    The object is to get a clean surface, with a profile. There are various ways to get there. As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I've had parts ruined by sandblasting companies so choose your vendor wisely. I had a Flying Merkel wheel run over by a fork lift at a blasting company, and friends who dropped off good frames and got bent frames back. I've done countless frames and I try to use good judgment, and my own experience. Good surface prep applies to any object that will be painted, and that is based on common sense.
    In defense of, and with all due respect, to the rare professionals in this industry:

"If you want something done right, do it yourself".

Then nobody will hear you complain.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    AMCA #776

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post

"If you want something done right, do it yourself".

Then nobody will hear you complain.

...Cotten
    Well, what do you know. I agree 100%, Tom.

I have great respect for all professionals, in all professions; but often, an amateur is going to do the research, spend the time, and fret over the nit-picking details with the goal of doing a good job.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    Well, what do you know. I agree 100%, Tom.

I have great respect for all professionals, in all professions; but often, an amateur is going to do the research, spend the time, and fret over the nit-picking details with the goal of doing a good job.
    A professional wouldn't?

No wonder I'm broke.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

I too had a bad experience with an industrial sandblaster. When I got the frame back it had the texture of about 36 grit sandpaper.
    They use too course sand at too high pressure. Took a lot of primer to get it smooth. Then I bought my own equipment. As far as chemical stripping (paint stripper and/or acid), in my opinion, and it's just an opinion, if you don't get the chemicals completely neutralized some might remain in the cracks and crevices and after a while blister your paint.
    Dave