Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Shovelhead sidecar mounts

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dustydog View Post
    Can anyone help me. We’re trying to put a 1987 sidecar on a 1978 FLH. The mounts we have look to me like they fit an evo style frame. What mounts would work and where can I get them? Any ideas? Thanks
    I hope I am not too late with my reply.
    I hate to burst your bubble on your project, but beware, the 5 speed sidecar frame will not fit on the 4 speed frame bike. You can change out the S bar with the 4 speed sidecar as well as the rear mount from an 80-84 4 speed sidecar frame, but that is as close as you will get. The front lower mount on your 5 speed frame is bent differently than the 4 speed sidecar frame and you cannot bend it correctly to fit. If you bend the front lower mount, you will ruin the frame and value.

    PM sent
    Last edited by ryan; 04-16-2019 at 09:48 PM.

  2. #12

    Default

    I put a TLEU on a 72 Shovel and as stated all mounts needed made. If someone would send an E-mail I will forward pictures, haven't figured out how to post here.

    bubbalowe@zoominternet.net

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Ah this is bad news. You are just in time I think I can stop the machinist in the morning. We’ll I’ll have to rethink this. It may be easier to find the correct sidecar. I’ll have to talk to the customer. I sure appreciate your help. Bubbalowe I’ll send you my email.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dustydog View Post
    Ah this is bad news. You are just in time I think I can stop the machinist in the morning. We’ll I’ll have to rethink this. It may be easier to find the correct sidecar. I’ll have to talk to the customer. I sure appreciate your help. Bubbalowe I’ll send you my email.
    Hello,
    The mounts you have now are worth a grand and the 5 speed sidecar that you have now is worth a lot more than a 4 speed fiberglass sidecar. I traded my 5 speed frame with the entire wheel assy. for a complete 4 speed fiberglass car. I have done that a couple a times with dealers.
    You want to get a 1979 or older sidecar as they will work on bikes back to 1958. The 1980-84 4 speed sidecar will only fit back to 1970 and are not worth as much because of this.
    As for the mounts, a repo set can be bought at vtwin.
    Ryan
    Last edited by ryan; 04-17-2019 at 09:58 PM.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dustydog View Post
    Ah this is bad news. You are just in time I think I can stop the machinist in the morning. We’ll I’ll have to rethink this. It may be easier to find the correct sidecar. I’ll have to talk to the customer. I sure appreciate your help. Bubbalowe I’ll send you my email.
    Sent pictures, hope you can post. The TLEU is an improvement with disc brake and heim joint connectors.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Here are some pictures of Bubbalowe’s TLEU sidecar on a round swing arm shovel. He made all of the mounts himself. Nice job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Here’s some more
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalowe View Post
    Sent pictures, hope you can post. The TLEU is an improvement with disc brake and heim joint connectors.
    Yes it is an improvement. Have you driven your bike yet? I have talked with some people that changed the dics to drum because it works a little too good. If that were the case, an adjustable proportioning valve would be the answer.
    Great job on the mounts, looks very professional!!!

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Yes it is an improvement. Have you driven your bike yet? I have talked with some people that changed the dics to drum because it works a little too good. If that were the case, an adjustable proportioning valve would be the answer.
    Great job on the mounts, looks very professional!!!
    MOCO sold sidecars with drum brakes even after bikes went all disc in 73 so mismatch didn't seem to concern them much. I got lucky, rig pulls to a stop in a straight line as is.
    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •