Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indian 249 Scout Mag Problem

For what it's worth, Jason; I had a Bosch ZEV magneto that worked great when grounded out on my drill press, and turned with a drill motor. Installed on the bike, it was too weak to reliably keep the motor running. I sent it to a magneto rebuilder in Minnesota and he found micro cracks in the commutator (I think that's what he said). Regardless, he said it was arcing internally, and not delivering a full jolt to the spark plugs. I gathered that isn't uncommon in magnetos that used Bakelite components.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by tfburke3 View Post
    Any chance there is some end to end or side play in the shaft that is not having an effect when spinning by hand but some binding or side load installed causing the problem?
    If you mounted with cam cover off and spun it by hand,without the idler or cam(no to familiar with cam chest on 249)what would be closest to the in the vise test.
    Tom
    Don't recall any side to side play specifically but did not check end to end so I will do that. Agree it might be time to pull the cam cover. I may try swapping the mag from the other bike first. Having the two on bench side by side will also allow a close comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    For what it's worth, Jason; I had a Bosch ZEV magneto that worked great when grounded out on my drill press, and turned with a drill motor. Installed on the bike, it was too weak to reliably keep the motor running. I sent it to a magneto rebuilder in Minnesota and he found micro cracks in the commutator (I think that's what he said). Regardless, he said it was arcing internally, and not delivering a full jolt to the spark plugs. I gathered that isn't uncommon in magnetos that used Bakelite components.
    Thanks Eric - every comment helps! I was thinking possibly a weak magnet or other generating deficiency but the bench test spark is so bright with just a quick flip I should get at least something once in awhile on the bike. I went as far as turning lights out in garage to see if there was even a minimal spark that couldn't be seen with ambient light.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

As I have said before; the magneto is one of Satan's favorite creations I hope you find the problem, Jason. When you do, I think everyone would like to know what it was.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Update: Otis Lives! I hadn't tried spinning the mag with a drill so did that just to see how it reacted and the spark looked great. After exhausting all the ideas I started thinking the mag itself was at fault despite no smoking gun so I pulled the one from the other bike and installed. Works fine. I did try the hand test with the replacement just for comparison and it appeared about the same, but thought if anything I detected it did spark a wee bit easier. So at this point I'm thinking the quick flip of the wrist doing the hand test allowed it to spark but the action of the kicker and slower start rotation speed apparently wasn't quite enough for it to spark which Tom had mentioned as a possible cause. Odd circumstance because I was kicking it pretty fast...or so I thought.

The coil ohms out exactly same as the good one so would that mean the magnet has lost some of its strength?

Before and after pics of Otis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Skirted View Post
    Before and after pics of Otis
    Nice! I can't help but think what would have happened if Indian had had their sheet together and got those bikes to sell in larger numbers, they're kind of neat looking in a British sort of way, nice job on that one Jason!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I agree, Harry. I think the vertical twin Indians are much better looking than my previous prejudice allowed. It is such a pity that Ralph Rogers had the vision, and not the timing to bring Indian into the post war era. I admire, and envy you, Jason for bringing that Indian back to life. That is what the AMCA is all about.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886