Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty starting a rebuilt 48 Panhead FL

Quote Originally Posted by harleygreg View Post
    Hi Tom, interesting comment about fuel level, as I've checked this using your method, and set the float height (brass) as advised in the service manual/Palmer to 5/16" from the rim. However, it would be good to know what the fuel level should be, as this would be the relevant measurement?
    Thanks
    Greg
    What service manual was that, Greg?

A Clymer?

For a ten gram India float, it takes at least a .375" setting to achieve a 5/8" fuel level.
    For a twelve gram Kokesh, try .410", which nearly bottoms out.
    Original cork and nitrophyll floats weighed five grams, including a pivotnut as captured in brass floats.

Linkert Model Ms never used a brass float. The book spec is 1/4", and I'm surprised Mr. Palmer would even address them.
    (I don't get my second edition dirty much, since he deleted most of the good carb information in the first edition.)

Beware not all modern nitrophyl floats are created equal either!
    Some weigh as much as brasses, and mass-produced varieties are known to swell, due to inferior obsolete formulae.

The latest and best formula is only available machined; beware of crude ones out there...

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-12-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Hey Tom,are saying the correct fuel level is 5/8 from the top of bowl?
    The indian manual says to set the fuel level-set the float 1/4 inch from the top,but doesnt mention the actual fuel level.I think I usually wind up with about 5/8 from the top or adjusted slightly lower if it overflows on the side stand.
    Greg ,I would recommend one of Toms floats,even the brass screw and tube are right.
    Tom
    Last edited by tfburke3; 04-13-2019 at 07:31 AM.

My tests with different NOS floats (even DLXs) gave ~5/8", Tom!

And other students have corroborated, as you have.

My apparatus was refined many times to get a reproduceable result, and I adjusted the size of the lighter machined material accordingly.
    (They are smaller in volume that OEM corks, and a lot smaller than OEM nitrophyl, thus allowing even more reserve.)

The level in the bowl is very important, as it must maintain supply to the holes in the main nozzle.
    The float bowl is considered the first "circuit", before the idle and power circuits.
    Mysteriously, the top holes of most nozzles are above 5/8".

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-13-2019 at 08:26 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!