Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1969 Shovelhead help

Hi I am a big fan of gen.shovels ,if you are looking for a original paint 69 you need to each machine on its own. I am not a expert however I believe 1969 FLH ‘s didn’t come with a kick start its a very sensible addition though.That being said from 1picture it may be a very nice bike that has been worked on . How about this for values if I’m selling 17,000 if I’m buying 9,000 . Good luck

I think the paint color is sparkling copper a 1979 color. The bike didn’t end up being as advertised. Thanks for all the help. The search continues. Would love to find another big twin. Thanks again for all of the help.

Jeff

Hi Ryan , do you remember what the frame mounted seat came off of ? And did you weld a piece of flat stock on frame to mount the front of it ? Iím building a 69 and at 5í 4íí the stock style seat ainít going to make it

Quote Originally Posted by Jcadams View Post
    Hi Ryan , do you remember what the frame mounted seat came off of ? And did you weld a piece of flat stock on frame to mount the front of it ? I’m building a 69 and at 5’ 4’’ the stock style seat ain’t going to make it
    Hello,
    No welding is needed on the frame, there are tabs on the seats that go under the frame behind the gas tanks. However, a small hole needs to be drilled in the rear fender to hold the back of the seat. I ran a stock shovelhead super gluide/low rider seat for a while and then changed to a Mustang seat. Both seat are for passengers as well. You should be fine with either seat and should mention for a 4 speed frame.

Link for Mustang seat: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/800...hoCA5cQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by ryan; 04-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.

DSC06158mp.JPGDSC06159mp.JPGI ran a seat similar to that on my '69, instead of drilling a hole in the fender I made the bracket shown from aluminum angle. It has felt on the bottom and attached to the luggage rack. To attach to the seat I drilled and countersunk a hole so the screw was under the felt height so it wouldn't scratch the fender. I took the spacer out of the center rail of the luggage rack and made an aluminum block that fit (similar to the ones in a newer rack) then bolted and doweled (probably a little over board there) the bracket shown to the block. The two bolts and dowels did locate the seat each time when removed to access the oil tank and didn't move while riding. I no longer run that seat and I have a fender that didn't get scratched and without a hole and just added the original spacer back in the luggage rack.
    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 04-13-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Bob Rice #6738

Default 69 seat

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    DSC06158mp.JPGDSC06159mp.JPGI ran a seat similar to that on my '69, instead of drilling a hole in the fender I made the bracket shown from aluminum angle. It has felt on the bottom and attached to the luggage rack. To attach to the seat I drilled and countersunk a hole so the screw was under the felt height so it wouldn't scratch the fender. I took the spacer out of the center rail of the luggage rack and made an aluminum block that fit (similar to the ones in a newer rack) then bolted and doweled (probably a little over board there) the bracket shown to the block. The two bolts and dowels did locate the seat each time when removed to access the oil tank and didn't move while riding. I no longer run that seat and I have a fender that didn't get scratched and without a hole and just added the original spacer back in the luggage rack.
    Thanks guys , was the front I was curious about