Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 48U – Linkert Bowl & Float Alignment

I have used the tube outside to look at fuel level also.
    You have to understand that verticle height above if not on the bike hooked to the system is important to how fast they fill the bowl.
    My brother used this method 35 years ago when first using the brass floats.
    The faster it goes in changes the level without changing the float height.
    Also,not all bowls have the drain.
    It is much easier with a consistent weight light nytrofil float like Cotton sells

I guess you mean 'head pressure', Duffey?

To produce six different floats accurately, I had to measure the resulting fuel level from as many NOS floats as I could.

Both DLXs and Linkerts appear to be designed with a fuel level 5/8" from the top of the bowl.
    If you sink a boatanchor float deep enough to achieve that, you've lost most of the available 'reserve' to the volume of the float.
    And brasses and the nitrophyl boatanchor are even fatter than OEM.

Reserve is why there is a bowl.
    (And racers needed even more; "pregnant bowl" courtesy of http://www.beautyofspeed.com/)

....Cotten
    PS: I found that too small of a tube for the sightglass drew its level higher than inside the bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-26-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

To some degree I agree 100% with that
    The float does drop & open the valve at a different level than a lighter float so to some degree they still work,but your engine longevity depends on it!!!
    I do agree it is much better with a lighter float

And I almost agree with you, Duffey!

But I hope the opening and closing would still give 5/8" in the bowl, when the valve is shut.

A heavy float would certainly respond more sluggishly, giving it's 'toilet cycle' refill a lot of amplitude.
    A buoyant float would keep the lean and rich periods closer to a straight line.

And that's where fuel economy benefits; Not sure how that affects the motor....

....Cotten
    PS: Mick!
    Where did you find a 1/4"-32 barbed hose fitting! Hospital dumpster?
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    AMCA #776

I received Cotten’s floats last week (Thanks Cotton) so I pulled the M51 off the bike this weekend. The brass float I installed developed a sudden thirst for gas and she became a sinker. I looked all over the brass float, no apparent pin holes or solder breakdown…..maybe the fuel got in where the float is depressed for the screw mount!?!?

Secondly, the brass bowl valve cover cap (27390-33) has a small vent hole. Was the vent hole year specific? I looked through all my caps – no vent hole in any. Searched the web and found no cap with a vent hole. Maybe someone drilled the cap.

Thanks, William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Submerge the brass float in hot water, Will!

Bubbles will come out where the fuel got in.
    It was too heavy anyway, and now you can expect better fuel economy.

I have never encountered a vented cap, but a little soft solder will fix it.

M51s are vented through the body by a small hole below the air correction hole.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Thanks Cotten, that float bubbled like a jacuzzi tub. haha Thanks, I was aware of the body vent. William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Cotton, sorry for the high jack, but what happens if the two fixed jets are screwed in too far, and how far should they be in, thanks, Larry