Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My 101 Scout Cannonball Build

Excellent. Thanks for posting the video.

Kevin

1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

It was a good weekend. I got two of my three magnetos working!

But, no one seemed to notice I was driving my test jig the wrong way. I thought the NS2's were counter clockwise, but they rotate clockwise. And, I had the magnet installed backwards. I reread the scout 101 R & O manual and there was an appendix on the magnetos. It clearly showed I had both backwards. Rotated the magnet, turned the magneto around and everything still worked, big spark. The only problem is, I only have one working cap, and one brush for the pickup and no brushes for the rotor. Anyone have any good ideas for the brushes?

The next thing on my weekend list was finishing the cylinders. I got the coil bind issue resolved by taking a little off my new springs and shortening my valve keepers a little. I'm up to about 0.350 from coil bind. That should be fine. I also had to cut down some of the fins on the front cylinder to make room for the magneto. I left about 1/4" space from the cylinder to the mag case. I'm hoping that's enough so the magneto doesn't overheat. The only thing left for the top end is honing the cylinders to fit the pistons.

Next weekend, the carburetor.

WTR : 53

I'm sorry I haven't been following this closely.
    .350" to coil bind is way, way more than any safety margin I ever heard of, like 5 times too much. It won't hurt anything, but how do you know you have enough spring load for the valves to operate properly at speed? Do you have specs for closed and full lift spring tension?

I'm trying to get the spring loads as close to the original 101 values as I can. I'm getting the specs from George Yarocki's notes in the 101 R & O manual.

If you're satisfied that the actual seated and full open spring tension are within limits excess coil bind distance is harmless.
    The assembled distance is only useful if you are using a spring with the actual lb. per inch deflection rate.

Hi Dana,
    I found out there was a problem with the brushes about a week before the last cannonball from Portland to Portland.
    It seems that all the brushes being made now are too soft and leave a carbon buildup on the inside of the cap causing mis-fire.
    I solved the problem by changing the rotor from a "wipe spark" to a "jump spark" like Splitdorf did on their next model magneto.
    I do have these rotors in stock and the work with both the original caps and mine.
    Bruce Argetsinger
    AHRMA Dirt Track #67J
    www.enfieldracing.com

Bruce, I’ll give you call when the money shows up in my bank account!

Here’s mock up number 2,

D2F125C1-1C9E-4FAB-86FB-7FCEB7203D20.jpg

Three problems,
    The rear cylinder interferes with the shift tower. I’ll have to trim back a little of the fins
    The shifter is never going to get around the cylinder, I’m going to have to switch back to a left hand shift.
    The ‘got a great price’ repop chain guard is two inches too short. I’m going to have to rework it.