Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1922 Indian Standard

John, if they don't have this pamphlet in the library, I hope this is of some use to you. I have had this old literature for many years and it was one of the reasons I like the Indian Standard so much. I think there is some good information here.

Last edited by exeric; 03-22-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Here are the following pages of the pamphlet.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Photobucket puts things in a different order than you upload, so here is the page that was missing, U believe it was the 3rd page.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Harry,

Thanks, I'll do my homework.

Thank you and ever one for all the pictures, advice and continuing education keep it coming.

Well, that's all I've got.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Dr. John1922, PM me your email address and I'll send you some information that will help you out with your bike.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Dr.John22,

That is a great find ! I'm an early Chief and Princess guy but have always like the Standard as well. 1922 was the first year for the Princess sidecar, which you have . It was designed primarily for and with the Chief, but starting in 1922, the body was fitted to the old standard chassis. So for 3 years, the standard had the new Princess body, a nicer looking body I think! Just a side note here, the Princess sidecar bodies, 1922-early 24 were actually made by the FLXIBLE sidecar company for Indian. After that, I believe Indian made their own.

Regarding the electrics: By 1922, all Indians were full electric models and equipped the same way: Splitdorf model S-2 magneto for ignition, a very solid, reliable ignition unit that did not require any battery. In addition, there was a Splitdorf DU-5 generator for charging the battery in conjunction with running lights and horn as well as an ammeter / switch mounted on the tank. The Scout and Standard were belt driven generators, the Chief was gear driven off the timing gear train. The Scout was driven by a gear drive pulley off the rear of the primary drive housing and the Standard was driven by a pulley behind the motor sprocket. The Standard setup was an evolution from the non electric models, Indian just found a way to attach a generator and pulley, unfortunately it was right behind the rear of the front fender and wheel. I refer to this as the water cooled generator, because if you're riding in a heavy rain, it gets soaked from the splash of the front wheel, so not the ideal location for a generator, but Indian sport scouts did this for years, as did Excelsior until 1924 and I believe Reading Standard did too.

So, magneto ignition, very reliable plus a small generator to keep the battery topped off and barely able to run the lights. If the generator, battery or lights croaked for some reason the mag would still work and you could always get home, in the dark.

You've got a great start on a nice rig there!

Gene

Gene,

Thank You for the education. With Guys like you at my back I know I can't go wrong

To All,
    Let me first say that your responses have been so helpful and informative. Thanks. At the present time I guess you could say I'm more like a curator of this bike than a restorer. So many, and I agree, say don't disturb it's almost one hundred year old patina. However, a few parts were removed and never reinstalled. One could only guess why. My 72 yr. old father and I have reinstalled many of them all in original condition with original nuts and bolts. One part has us scratching our heads.
    bracket 2.JPG
    We know it's for the rear hinge points of the foot boards as well as the pivot point for the brake pedal.

The bracket appears to straddle the frame just below the engine. We are becoming more and more convinced that we have to raise the engine from the frame to sneak the bracket between. If so, it tells us the engine was removed at some point as well as the foot boards and when reinstalled someone forgot to install the bracket first. If anyone has first hand experience please share. Would hate to proceed if there is another way.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images