Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bobber ok but mine has wrong everything

We have several significant interest groups in the AMCA, and they don't always overlap much. I'm thinking restorers/judges, people with 'just a rider', and the Road Run group. I'm a judge and a restorer, with part of my future pension tied up in showroom bikes because that's where the money is. But I've probably got most miles on my '34 Harley bobber and had most fun on it. I've done road runs in FL, PA and TX and the crowd there will have non-judged bikes that they know are reliable, and I don't see many of them at the swap Meets. But we have crossovers - look at the 1934 VL which is coming up on its one hundredth Winners Circle award. Or the 1936 VLH Winners Circle bike loaned to me by the then Texas Chapter President for their Road Run two ago, then returned to him 500 miles later, muddy and soaking wet from that rainstorm on the last day. Only about a third of our membership belong to Chapters, so maybe two thirds are less active and enjoy the magazine. We shouldn't criticise Road Run participants or bobber owners for having non-showroom bikes, and likewise shouldn't say that judged bikes are just Trailer Queens. But old vehicle clubs attract cranky individualists and it's hard not to...

If all bikes were restored to 100 pts they would all look alike save for the color. How boring would that be. One factor that people seem to disregard in this hobby is the bikes history, which is often stripped away. Though I understand if a persons goal is to build a “perfect example” of a certain model they possess, dont fool yourself.. in most cases..its already been done.

35Chief - I think you got some great answers to your comments and they really say what I would say. Personally I think its okay for individuals to feel good about their own work but unless asked I don't think they should offer criticism. But the world is full of unsolicited criticism. I'd hate to think you would attend meets because of this. That's one of the cool things about the Cannonball Endurance Run, you get the feel of the ancient machine but safety features are added that customize and otherwise antique. Keep enjoying your 35 Chief antique.

Mike Love

Thank You all, I appreciate the comments, summers on the way!! Ride-m don’t hid-em!
    I can say one of my favorite things is to let the right person try kick starting the bike, such a small percentage have ever tried it and that is one less kick on my old worn out knees! Great way to turn on( or maybe off) someone to older bikes.

You have done nothing wrong. A bike is a personal expression. Here's what I've had to say in another thread.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...789#post175789