Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel for old bikes.

Reason for ethanol in gasoline: Iowa has an early caucus, and ADM spends a lot of money.
    If the cost of ethanol was not subsidized you wouldn't pay it. How do I get the Feds to subsidize my products? Buy several Congresspersons.

...beyond the ethanol issue, I've read that some people like to add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to their gas. I don't, but I'd be interested in hearing again why it could be a benefit to old motors.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    ...beyond the ethanol issue, I've read that some people like to add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to their gas. I don't, but I'd be interested in hearing again why it could be a benefit to old motors.
    Uh oh, Harry!

I used it religiously for 'brillo pad' air cleaners, and still would.

But adding it to fuel is just another variable, and an expensive bother at that.

Methinks those who like it in fuel watch plugs that should burn white in modern fuels anyway.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I wonder if Coleman white gas for lanterns would burn well in the old engines ? Price is over the top though.

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    Not exactly old, but for my '69 shovel with med comp pistons and bronze (yes, alum bronze like pans) valve seats, I run whatever pump gas available. Sometimes I put in 87, sometimes 93, sometimes 10% ethanol sometimes not, but I have always squirted 1-2 teaspoons of Marvel in the tanks at fill up for 53K miles. The heads have never been off, comp started at about 135lb and at 50K miles it was 105lb constant/ cylinder. I have had a Tillotson carb on for about 5 years now, it has a repop rubber diaphragm from Tedd's made over there somewhere (5 yrs old), I leave it sit about 4 months over the winter. No rust in the tanks, same diaphragm, bike starts without any hesitation every spring for the last 14 years with no draining of gas or additives over the winter. I am a firm believer in Marvel for top end lubrication, (also possibly diaphragm lube, tank lube). Another member years ago stated that 2 cycle oil would be better because it wouldn't lower the comp ratio like Marvel in his opinion, I agree but have yet to try 2 cycle as a top end lubricant. To each his own, just as oil brands and viscosity goes, but the proof is in my 53K pudding to me. Before that, a '62 Pan with about 25K when motor taken apart for other reasons, the heads with replaced bronze seats are still like new, run with Marvel the whole 25K.
    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 02-28-2019 at 06:47 AM. Reason: added text
    Bob Rice #6738

I have just over 72K miles on my 1940 Indian 4 since I rebuilt it 40 years ago. It has the original bronze intake seats with Oldsmobile valves. I use the cheapest gas I can find and have never added any thing to it. I very seldom have to adjust the valves. It is running as good as ever and has never had a valve job since the rebuild. I have been draining the fuel for the winter for the last 10 years.
    Tom

Tom I never run any additive in my knucklehead either. Usually try to use premium when possible but it runs great on anything. Cast iron guides and stainless valves.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
    I have just over 72K miles on my 1940 Indian 4 since I rebuilt it 40 years ago. It has the original bronze intake seats with Oldsmobile valves. I use the cheapest gas I can find and have never added any thing to it. I very seldom have to adjust the valves. It is running as good as ever and has never had a valve job since the rebuild. I have been draining the fuel for the winter for the last 10 years.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    I wonder if Coleman white gas for lanterns would burn well in the old engines ? Price is over the top though.
    It was suggested to me, Pa,..

That a couple of ounces of white gas added to a tank of regular upped its octane to 'premium'.

Just more armchair-engineering without any testing!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

A gas pump with only one nozzle can give you 2-5 gallons of whatever the last person used before you get the gas you selected

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    A gas pump with only one nozzle can give you 2-5 gallons of whatever the last person used before you get the gas you selected
    Wow Duffey!

I woulda guessed a gallon at most.

But different grades from the same pump should probably have the same soup of additives.

If you give the P4gas as little to eat as possible its just fine.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776