Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 41 vin #

  1. #1

    Default 41 vin #

    Good # or otherwise??
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    Not factory font.
    This is what it should look like.
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 02-15-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Not a factory stamp

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Chris Someone did a repair with out getting into the serial number - that's tricky. Weld is a bit porous but probably will hold.

    Jerry


    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Not factory font.
    This is what it should look like.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    4,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    Chris Someone did a repair with out getting into the serial number - that's tricky. Weld is a bit porous but probably will hold.

    Jerry
    I used to know TIGmeisters who did much, much better, Jerry!

    But one died, another got old and cranky.
    The lone survivor is tired of my loser gigs.

    So now everybody's a welder; An associate brought me a right case with MIG work from a local speed shop that looked like a bird's nest.

    ....Cotten
    PS: The repaired crack to the right of the number boss is painfully typical.
    I blame it on the design of the baffle inside
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-15-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    475

    Default

    I suspect the OP pic is of a factory replacement case for 41 and the old vin was stamped in to the replacement case. Not uncommon on 41 cases especially F and FL models. Unfortunately as Chris points out wrong font especially the 4 and the 1 and the 3 look to be the earlier style. May still be legit if done by HD shop and old case was surrendered. JMHO


    Tom (Rollo) Hardy

    AMCA #12766

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    I do better Cotton. Probably arc welded and not TIG. Jerry



    Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I used to know TIGmeisters who did much, much better, Jerry!

    But one died, another got old and cranky.
    The lone survivor is tired of my loser gigs.

    So now everybody's a welder; An associate brought me a right case with MIG work from a local speed shop that looked like a bird's nest.

    ....Cotten
    PS: The repaired crack to the right of the number boss is painfully typical.
    I blame it on the design of the baffle inside
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 02-15-2019 at 07:25 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Beautiful Northern New Mexico
    Posts
    2,647

    Default

    Regretfully unless the seller has original documentation as to replacement cases or other reasons (dealer invoice, etc) it is merely a re-stamped case and the value is greatly reduced unless just for a rider , as a collector piece it is not good. It all comes down to what you want it for.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    53

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Hills, CA and Pine Grove, CA
    Posts
    5,401

    Default

    The seller is David Wasserman.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •