Thread: out of curiosity....

Default out of curiosity....

can anyone share some general info on this bike. i seem to recall seeing one picture of it somewhere... i seem to recall the clutch is off a 2000-era Yamaha something......? i would like to learn more.....

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

I cant help with that specific bike Steve but the Japanese clutch mod would make that it loads better to ride. I know some would think it sacrilege but in my opinion its better to have a Japanese clutch and be able to ride the bike more rather than have a 100% period correct bike that is too hard to ride.

There is a reasonably well known mod for old Brit bikes that involves a Suzuki clutch which is loads better than the original clutches.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    I cant help with that specific bike Steve but the Japanese clutch mod would make that it loads better to ride. I know some would think it sacrilege but in my opinion its better to have a Japanese clutch and be able to ride the bike more rather than have a 100% period correct bike that is too hard to ride.

There is a reasonably well known mod for old Brit bikes that involves a Suzuki clutch which is loads better than the original clutches.

John
    Thanks, John for your thoughts. i doubt seriously i would make that mod on this custom creation i am gathering parts for, but the idea of having a modern clutch i admire. i am used to riding old iron, so it feels natural to me and i don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with the JD dry clutch. on the other hand, i appreciate what went into adapting the clutch to work on a JD. it appears this bike has no transmission; is a single speed?

Hello Steve,
    That M/C was built by ‘Wiz' George Hood. He fabricated the frame, and used a lot of speedway parts in conjunction with the overall look & function. I checked the M/C over at Davenport around 2012-13? It has a stock JTM(Jawa) speedway clutch assembly, with a 3 point 1-speed Jawa Layshaft, boxed in where the trans. mount should have been.
    The front fork is standard Jawa speedway Pogo front-end, pre-leading link, with reinforced bracing added to mock a Merkel. The front wheel is a 23’' speedway spool with Akront rims.
    If you look at the rear wheel, that is a 19’’ Akron rim also—Jawa spool, with a dummy speedway gear on the right to act as a rear wheel spacer. The drive rear gearing is also speedway. Front fender is stock Jawa steel 890-895 years. Front & Rear tires look like standard Mitas speedway.
    The motor is a JDH. I think Fred Lange might have been involved with the M/C, but not sure. Tanks were fabricated by Hood or Lange?

Overall, it was inexpensive to frame the drive with a speedway Layshaft & clutch as opposed to the high-priced compensator sprocket, or a bulky/heavy J/JD transmission. After the alignment of the primary, everything lines up with that speedway set-up at the secondary. The speedway layshaft & Clutch combo will easily handle anything that twin cam motor can throw at it, considering that a standard speedway has 50-80HP, and will rev to 9k RPM, with a compression ratio of 13-15 to 1.. Plus, it's pretty darn unique & clever--which is right up Hood & Lange's avenue!!
    header.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
    https://ebay.us/gpzP57

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 02-11-2019 at 06:04 PM.

JoJo357, thanks for the info on that bike; yes i see the speedway heritage in it now! Thanks!