Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Leno 1930 indian chief

To set the record straight: 1930 is the first year for tanks outside the frame. 30 and 31 Chief used cast aluminum tanks, in 32 Indian went back to soldered steel tanks on the chief. Interestingly, all chief power plants from 22-31 will drop right into any chief frame 22-31. The only difference being top motor mounts for the 61" chief are different and of course oil lines, carb, mag. 30 and 31 used 19" drop centers, the only years for this as standard equipment I believe.

32 Chief was a different beast indeed, front end was wider and taller, Autolite generator driven off the clutch hub, semi valanced fender on the front, different engine cases, tanks, kicker on the right side became standard.

I think the early (pre31) chief's are the best! But, I'm biased, having a 24 and 31 iin the barn.

gene

Quote Originally Posted by brettxlch View Post
    Guys i know most of you have prolly seen the you tube video on what Jay L calls his junk rider 30 indian chief. I have 2 questions, 1 what do you think a ballpark figure of what its worth and 2 what he spent on having it put back together? Even though i love my 73 xlch, man ide be a happy camper to have that 30 chief....I noticed when he pulled in the gate closed behind him. So he has security as i would too if i had his $$$$. Would love to go to his museum...thanx brett
    There is a rolling basket case 1930 Chief on eBay right now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Indian...QsPF:rk:1:pf:0

I noticed that ebay 1930 Cheif has clincher rims which I don't believe are correct. That observation, combined with the enormous amount of super rare missing parts turn that ebay bike from a hobby project, to a religious pilgrimage
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    I noticed that ebay 1930 Cheif has clincher rims which I don't believe are correct. That observation, combined with the enormous amount of super rare missing parts turn that ebay bike from a hobby project, to a religious pilgrimage
    Yup i agree...I havnt purchased a thing on ebay for better than a year. Some people on thier do not have a clue or dont care about the guy on the recieving end...It pays to do your homework...

the enormous amount of super rare missing parts turn that ebay bike from a hobby project, to a religious pilgrimage
    Eric, the eternal optimist would be thinking "I love a challenge", and in reality I think the Chief and Scout from those years share quite a few parts, and the 101 Scout is sort of well supported with reproduction stuff, so maybe one would find just a few unobtainium parts? On the other hand, price sitting at $21,000+ before anything is done to it would definitely put it in the "religious pilgrimage" category....I like that term!
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

"a religious pilgrimage"

That sums up this passion for old motorcycles for all most of us on this forum, don't you think? I'm not a religious person by nature but a few minutes on an old motorcycle gives me a little tase of heaven every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Indian View Post
    "a religious pilgrimage"

That sums up this passion for old motorcycles for all most of us on this forum, don't you think? I'm not a religious person by nature but a few minutes on an old motorcycle gives me a little taste of heaven every time.
    I'm not religious either, Green Indian!

But if you did it for a living for forty years, it can be "Highway to Hell".

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I'm not religious either, Green Indian!

But if you did it for a living for forty years, it can be "Highway to Hell".

....Cotten
    That's funny. Cotton don't ever loose your wry sense of humor.

My reference to a religious pilgrimage was an abstract observation about a difficult journey, or endeavor and in no way was a slight, or opinion about spirituality. Cotten's dumbass comment broke the rules of most forums by making a religious, or political statement intended to show contempt. I await his reply which will start with "Folks", and end with a P.S. and more nonsense.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

My reference to a religious pilgrimage was an abstract observation about a difficult journey, or endeavor and in no way was a slight, or opinion about spirituality. Cotten's dumbass comment broke the rules of most forums by making a religious, or political statement intended to show contempt. I await his reply which will start with "Folks", and end with a P.S. and more nonsense.
    Just wanted to quote you, Eric!

...Cotten
    PS: And fulfill your prophecy...
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!